AT alternative through the whites ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't wanted a summit picture with the Washington sign in years. Even if there is a line I will quietly walk up the back side of the cone and touch the sign while being careful not to get in the way of any pictures. I guess I have always considered the line to be a "picture" thing and that I wasn't causing any trouble as long as I avoided slowing the line down or speaking ill of others on the summit.

That's what I did for awhile and then I asked myself why I cared. Was I up there for the enjoyment and reward of the climb, the personal satisfaction of the effort, or a photo op? That last few vertical feet is irrelevant in my thought process now.

Holy moly; to be clear this is simply what I felt emotionally. I was not one of the hungry thru hikers, actually. I was given a donated spot by a family so I was eating while I watched my fellow skinny thru hikers - with tremendous guilt I might add. These are my feelings about it. It was unsettling to me. I collected all the uneaten desserts I could find, put them on a plate and took them to the other thru hikers who cheered with gratitude. I half expected to be kicked out for my act of treason. Not that it matters to anyone but the woman sitting next to me (a rather plump woman) told me not to worry because the huts feed the same dinner to the thru hikers after the ones who paid are finished. Let the judgements resume ...

Last edited:
I take it you missed out on thruhiker Yogi 101 ;). Look hungry and pitiful and the general public will take pity and feed the thruhiker. Its not begging if you dont ask. Begging is regarded as poor style by a proper thru hiker, the "points" are for style in getting the public to feel guilty so they voluntarily give food or other things without asking. With 4 or 5 months under their belt they have had plenty of practice.

Last edited:
Let the judgements resume ...
I remember having run out of food (and money) on more than one trip, so I can sympathize with what's going in hungry person's mind, however, to be fair when you wrote

wealthy, "chunky" people gorge on food who walked a whopping 1.5 miles to the hut
it did not quite come across as a judgement-free statement either.

loaded with judgement, I agree. the AMC seems to be serving a select group of the population. I can't claim to know enough to have another solution, not that the AMC is looking for one. I do find using the huts to serve this select and mostly wealthy group of people disturbing. I understand many of you will disagree. I could not bring myself to visit another hut after this experience; weather cooperated for me, thankfully.

the hut I stayed at charges about $125/person? 90 paying guests I was told. Over $11,000 per night.

should anyone be planning a long backpack there's plenty of stealth camping available in the whites to avoid the whole hut scene should you decide to.

This thread started out as an interesting question about a route through the mountains, but it has become a troll thread. I suggest folks just stop responding to this...

This thread started out as an interesting question about a route through the mountains, but it has become a troll thread. I suggest folks just stop responding to this...

You are right. I've deleted my prior comment. While I do object to some of the statements and characterizations here, it is not productive to banter back and forth about them. Would be hypocritical of me to complain about this trend on Facebook and then engage in it here. Got caught up in the commentary.

I'm not a Hut guy or an AMC guy. That being said, considering what they offer, I don't think they are over priced. You get fantastic homemade meals, they are educational, the Croo's tend to be entertaining and lets not forget the location. In regards to Lakes and Madison Huts, basically the only people allowed to sleep above treeline are people staying in one of the Huts. If you stay in a hotel down in the valley and factor in breakfast and dinner, you would equal or exceed the cost of a hut.

I'm not a Hut guy or an AMC guy. That being said, considering what they offer, I don't think they are over priced. You get fantastic homemade meals, they are educational, the Croo's tend to be entertaining and lets not forget the location. In regards to Lakes and Madison Huts, basically the only people allowed to sleep above treeline are people staying in one of the Huts. If you stay in a hotel down in the valley and factor in breakfast and dinner, you would equal or exceed the cost of a hut.

Also, the cost per night to stay at a hut is not much different than what skiers pay at many resorts to ride the chairlifts for a day. There's no shortage of people willing to pay for either of those recreational activities.

I agree and I think it represents a fair cost of what goes into the hut system as well as a very competitive price compared to similar facilities elsewhere. Glad the OP had a good trek notwithstanding the Maine North Woods road system which I hope never changes (i.e gets developed, paved etc.); it is not for the faint of heart or weak of suspension system.