Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AT alternative through the whites ...

This thread started out as an interesting question about a route through the mountains, but it has become a troll thread. I suggest folks just stop responding to this...

It does look like it time to close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    This thread started out as an interesting question about a route through the mountains, but it has become a troll thread. I suggest folks just stop responding to this...
    You are right. I've deleted my prior comment. While I do object to some of the statements and characterizations here, it is not productive to banter back and forth about them. Would be hypocritical of me to complain about this trend on Facebook and then engage in it here. Got caught up in the commentary.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Lets keep the judgmental comments out of further replies
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

I'm not a Hut guy or an AMC guy. That being said, considering what they offer, I don't think they are over priced. You get fantastic homemade meals, they are educational, the Croo's tend to be entertaining and lets not forget the location. In regards to Lakes and Madison Huts, basically the only people allowed to sleep above treeline are people staying in one of the Huts. If you stay in a hotel down in the valley and factor in breakfast and dinner, you would equal or exceed the cost of a hut.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I'm not a Hut guy or an AMC guy. That being said, considering what they offer, I don't think they are over priced. You get fantastic homemade meals, they are educational, the Croo's tend to be entertaining and lets not forget the location. In regards to Lakes and Madison Huts, basically the only people allowed to sleep above treeline are people staying in one of the Huts. If you stay in a hotel down in the valley and factor in breakfast and dinner, you would equal or exceed the cost of a hut.
    Also, the cost per night to stay at a hut is not much different than what skiers pay at many resorts to ride the chairlifts for a day. There's no shortage of people willing to pay for either of those recreational activities.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I agree and I think it represents a fair cost of what goes into the hut system as well as a very competitive price compared to similar facilities elsewhere. Glad the OP had a good trek notwithstanding the Maine North Woods road system which I hope never changes (i.e gets developed, paved etc.); it is not for the faint of heart or weak of suspension system.