Hudson Highlands Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a compilation trip report from a bunch of hikes I did down in the Hudson Highlands this spring while training for my California trip.

Good NY alternative to the Adirondacks or Catskills, IMO, if you’re looking for a new/different area to explore.

And, of course, my report has an underlying state highpointing theme cuz that’s how I do.

A Fake State Highpointing Hudson Highlands Hiking Story

This is really interesting. I have a lot of friends and family down that way and drive through this area at least a couple times of year. Your blog and pictures do a very nice job of transcending the unique flavor of that area. Instead of just driving through this makes me want to get out of my car the next time and explore. Thanks for the beta!

Last edited:
Thank you, skiguy!

It’s all about being properly motivated, I guess. I used to drive down through there frequently for work in the mid-2000s and thought the Hudson Highlands looked like cool hiking territory ... but it took the whole breaking NY State apart thing to really inspire me to finally get my boots out on the trails.

Last edited:
Excellent. Always enjoy your trips and posts. I've always avoided the area as I hike with a dog and have read that there are copperheads and some timber rattlers. More recently, lots of ticks. BTW, do you have a regular blog? Looking forward to your CA trip and photos.

Thanks, Peakbagr. And I have always appreciated your interest and comments. :)

Almost stepped on a snake on one of the latter hikes in the report. Anthony’s Nose, I think. Just a little guy but it did get me thinking that it is probably a pretty active area for snakes once you get into the heat of the summer.

The blog is brand new in the last month since I got back from California. Really like the format in terms of its compatibility with my iPad. Once I have the text and photos all ready to go, I can have a slick-looking post up in like 45 minutes. So far I’m looking at it as just a place to park all of my old state highpointing trip reports as well as any new worthy adventures.

In case you missed it, here’s the link to my Cali report. Super trip. :D

A Fake State Highpointing California Adventure Story

Almost stepped on a snake on one of the latter hikes in the report. Anthony’s Nose, I think. Just a little guy but it did get me thinking that it is probably a pretty active area for snakes once you get into the heat of the summer.
Did you take a picture of the snake? There are several species in this general area, and we have seen timber rattle snakes too, so it's good idea to be careful. Here is a picture from a hike that I did with my sons and their friend in Harriman State Park back in 2015:
DSC05676.jpg

Naw.

I was on the move and was just as happy to keep on moving. LOL. Definitely not that big though. Cool pic.

Will definitely keep this line of discussion in mind for the next time I’m hiking down there.

Late seeing this, very nice descriptions.

You went with the most-used trails generally; there are alternates that can be really appealing. Like an unmarked but easy-to-follow trail up Anthony's Nose that starts right at the base of the Bear Mountain Bridge. New York/New Jersey Trail Conference has decided to close a lot of the trails on Bear Mountain, taking away some excellent views. You can still find them with old maps. Schunemunk we usually start by the trestle bridge over the Moodna Viaduct, go up the west ridge, cross over to the east ridge, and then back down around. Near the summit is a marked trail to a series of impressive ledges overlooking the other ridge and valley below. Trains there are actually New Jersey Transit, occasionally a freight. Amtrak is on the east side of the Hudson until it crosses over at Albany.

With a car you can access several other demanding hikes, like the Cat's Elbow to Timp Torne and return via West Mountain (its lean-to has a view of Manhattan). It's a rewarding area, and you can stay away from crowds pretty easily.

Yes, we've seen some rattlers. Bears too.

Thanks for checking it out, Daniel. Did indeed take the more popular routes to these summits while also keeping an eye on upping total elevation gain as I got closer to my western trip.

Lots of good suggestions in your post for some future hikes down that way! :)

Last edited: