Thread: Tripoli Road Camping closed Indefinitely due to Bear issues

Tripoli Road Camping closed Indefinitely due to Bear issues

The bears have been raiding sites and getting too close to folks camping on the road.

I expect Russell Pond and Waterville Valley will have some extra "visitors"

The blackberry crop is about 1 to 2 weeks out in the future, hopefully they will shift to natural food sources but expect there is another generation of habituated bear cubs.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Update on Tripoli Road.... I drove up Tripoli Road Sunday 7/28 intending to do bushwhack up West Tecumseh spur ridge from Hix Hill Road. I was shocked and saddened to see conditions on Tripoli Road. I saw plenty of camping going on all along the road. The gate to Forest Road I wanted to use to access my route was closed. I saw one site that must have had no less than 20 cars parked adjacent to it. I could see huge plastic pavilion down the hill dozens of people walking about. It's been somewhat dry so cars travelling the road constantly raise clouds of dust. All cars were heavily coated with dust. I'd be very careful walking any where in woods near these campsites. 20 car loads of people must generate tons of poop and pee. I bailed on my plan and left area quickly. Luckily I had a plan B.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    Update on Tripoli Road.... I drove up Tripoli Road Sunday 7/28 intending to do bushwhack up West Tecumseh spur ridge from Hix Hill Road. I was shocked and saddened to see conditions on Tripoli Road. I saw plenty of camping going on all along the road. The gate to Forest Road I wanted to use to access my route was closed. I saw one site that must have had no less than 20 cars parked adjacent to it. I could see huge plastic pavilion down the hill dozens of people walking about. It's been somewhat dry so cars travelling the road constantly raise clouds of dust. All cars were heavily coated with dust. I'd be very careful walking any where in woods near these campsites. 20 car loads of people must generate tons of poop and pee. I bailed on my plan and left area quickly. Luckily I had a plan B.

I don't understand how they allow all of those people without facilities. Seriously gross.
    Miehoff

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect Russell Pond and Waterville Valley will have some extra "visitors"
    Yes! The Campton Campground which is never full except for holiday weekends, has been full most weekends this summer.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination