near Osceola..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faline

Reaction score
It looks like there is a trail called "logging road" west of the Greeley trail up Osceola. Anyone know if I'd have luck finding a campsite off that trail?

thanks in advance

It looks like there is a trail called "logging road" west of the Greeley trail up Osceola. Anyone know if I'd have luck finding a campsite off that trail?

thanks in advance

Whatever your referring too, its not an established trail. I do know, the Greely Ponds area is a RUA area, ( Restricted Use- no camping ).

Whatever your referring too, its not an established trail. I do know, the Greely Ponds area is a RUA area, ( Restricted Use- no camping ).

It isn't restricted until you get into the Scenic Area at the Osceola jct aside from the 1/4 mile from a road rule.

You should be able to find a place to put a tent or hammock in there. Low elevation, near water, old road providing flat spots. Might be boggy?

If it is a Forest service road even if gated the 1/4 mile rule most likely applies.

The 1/4 mile road rule only applies to specific roads (in this case the kanc). The road she is referencing is not mentioned in the regulations, nor is it gated or numbered or anything. Seems like it's abandoned infrastructure as its jct with the Kanc would be behind a guard rail if you could find it.

Going by maps not memory: there is an old logging road that leaves the Kanc just south of the Greely Pond trailhead, right alongside the stream. It joins the Greeley pond trail after less than a mile. Should be a great place to camp, with mild slopes and reliable water. (Just go 1/4 mile from the Kanc.) Looks like hardwood and/or birch forest for most of its length.

There's a also a ski trail that leaves the Kanc just west of the stream, and joins the Greeley Pond trail at Mad River Notch (the edge of the Scenic Area). (1.3 trail miles - it wiggles a bit.) That one may be a bit harder to follow, and doesn't have an obvious water supply alongside.

There was a logging road to Greeley Pond before the Kanc was built. The location doesn't quite line up if I superimpose the maps, but it's close enough that it may be the same one. If so, it may be pretty overgrown by now.

Thanks for the replies. nartreb, that is the trail/road I am talking about. Unless able to find somewhere along there, it's quite out of the way to get to, which is why I'm asking if anyone knows anything.
Sounds like it could be good, could be overgrown and thick. Not sure if we could even park there.

Thanks for the replies. nartreb, that is the trail/road I am talking about. Unless able to find somewhere along there, it's quite out of the way to get to, which is why I'm asking if anyone knows anything.
Sounds like it could be good, could be overgrown and thick. Not sure if we could even park there.

There is parking for the ski trail right next to it.

Timber Camp Trail departs Greeley Ponds Trail to the west, approximately halfway between the Goodrich Rock Trail and the southern Greeley Pond. This trail has a large clearing with excellent views about halfway up where the road turns into an overgrown trail that heads north/west into the woods. I followed this and found a fairly obvious old campsite around the point where the trail seems to disappear. It is at the end of a section of trail that heads left (south) across the sideslope and may require bushwhacking. It appears on the map that a short(ish) bushwhack from here would lead to a southeastern sub-peak of Osceola but it did not appear to be an easy undertaking when I was there and I quickly abandoned the thought as I had other destinations in mind at the time. I imagine the clearing would make a decent campsite as well.