Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Really Hot Humid Weekend Coming up

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    5,799

    Really Hot Humid Weekend Coming up

    Sadly I expect with climate change, this weekend is going to be a more frequent occurrence for the indefinite future. I wonder how many folks will be heeding the various heat index advisories? I expect more than few folks may be getting in trouble on the weekend due to lack of fluids and electolytes.

    My plans are a hike on Friday on a lesser used shady trail with lots of water nearby with an AMC hut to refill water before a shady north facing trail heading down. No doubt it will still be nasty in the early afternoon but I plan to be in the car and headed home before possibly afternoon weather. I expect I will find something far less strenuous to do on Saturday. I may try to do a early morning hike to my favorite blueberry mountain in Maine to check on this seasons crop.

    So what are other folks plans to avoid the heat?

  2. #2
    Senior Member richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    manchester nh
    Posts
    322
    I’m staying home.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,912
    We have a place in Tamworth on the Swift River. I suspect we shall plop down in it and relax.

    On the bright side, the bugs have gone way down the past couple weeks.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  4. #4
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,583
    I'm working, but if I was off, I'd be kayaking.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,496
    I am enjoying my first episode with lyme disease and one of the major side effects of the prescription they gave me is to avoid direct sun/exposure to sun. So that is no problem in July right? Looks like I'll be going into vampire mode for the next few weeks. I am actually considering a dusk to dawn night hike if the weather conditions allow. No idea where. A midnight summit of Washington has always been on the bucket list. Maybe this will be the week. It seems like whenever my conditioning really gets in a good place something comes along to derail it.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  6. #6
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I am enjoying my first episode with lyme disease and one of the major side effects of the prescription they gave me is to avoid direct sun/exposure to sun. So that is no problem in July right? Looks like I'll be going into vampire mode for the next few weeks. I am actually considering a dusk to dawn night hike if the weather conditions allow. No idea where. A midnight summit of Washington has always been on the bucket list. Maybe this will be the week. It seems like whenever my conditioning really gets in a good place something comes along to derail it.
    The sucks to hear about Lyme and the sunlight restriction. Are you able to drive during the day, or do you have to stay indoors? Night-hiking is wonderful, although I don't know if Washington would be my first choice - I think I'd scoot up Jefferson via Caps Ridge (more time above the trees, although limited loop options), although with the chance of storms, you might want a route with shelter. Caps would give you a good view to the west to see in-coming weather at least.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  7. #7
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    The sucks to hear about Lyme and the sunlight restriction. Are you able to drive during the day, or do you have to stay indoors? Night-hiking is wonderful, although I don't know if Washington would be my first choice - I think I'd scoot up Jefferson via Caps Ridge (more time above the trees, although limited loop options), although with the chance of storms, you might want a route with shelter. Caps would give you a good view to the west to see in-coming weather at least.
    I've been driving all over New England for work the past few weeks and haven't noticed any real effects other than brightness. I guess the issue is that the meds make skin very sensitive and it can burn easily so sunburn and all the related issues are magnified. I bought one of those warm weather "sun shirts" that I'm going to try out on a modest hike this weekend and see.

    As far as night hikes I'm no stranger to hiking in the dark. Been well above treeline many times in the dark. I actually did Caps Ridge Trail on 10/30/17 to catch a sunrise (which was awesome). My GoPro takes pretty decent night pictures so plan is to do a "photo shoot" in the dark and see if it can capture what the naked eye sees. Hiking above treeline in the dark is quite awesome but it is generally impossible to get photos or video to share the experience with friends and family unless you have good equipment, training, etc, - none of which I have. Washington obviously would only be done under very favorable conditions. Not doing it just to say I did it but to hopefully capture photos of the experience.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hillwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N44.55162 W70.32107
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Sadly I expect with climate change, this weekend is going to be a more frequent occurrence for the indefinite future. I wonder how many folks will be heeding the various heat index advisories? I expect more than few folks may be getting in trouble on the weekend due to lack of fluids and electolytes.

    My plans are a hike on Friday on a lesser used shady trail with lots of water nearby with an AMC hut to refill water before a shady north facing trail heading down. No doubt it will still be nasty in the early afternoon but I plan to be in the car and headed home before possibly afternoon weather. I expect I will find something far less strenuous to do on Saturday. I may try to do a early morning hike to my favorite blueberry mountain in Maine to check on this seasons crop.

    So what are other folks plans to avoid the heat?
    Peakbagger: Here in West Central Maine (Mt Blue - Tumbledown) the Blueberries are at least two weeks behind. I was on my local Blueberry mountain yesterday for a BB Reconnaissance and that is what I found.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jrbren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    W.Boylston, MA
    Posts
    318
    An indoor day for me, wherever there is AC. Since I am going out of town the following weekend probably a stay at home in the AC weekend.

    Sorry to hear about the Lyme disease Daytrip. Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge makes a great night hike, especially if there is a good moon. Great view of the lights of Burlington, Plattsburgh and the Dannemora.

  10. #10
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I've been driving all over New England for work the past few weeks and haven't noticed any real effects other than brightness. I guess the issue is that the meds make skin very sensitive and it can burn easily so sunburn and all the related issues are magnified. I bought one of those warm weather "sun shirts" that I'm going to try out on a modest hike this weekend and see.

    As far as night hikes I'm no stranger to hiking in the dark. Been well above treeline many times in the dark. I actually did Caps Ridge Trail on 10/30/17 to catch a sunrise (which was awesome). My GoPro takes pretty decent night pictures so plan is to do a "photo shoot" in the dark and see if it can capture what the naked eye sees. Hiking above treeline in the dark is quite awesome but it is generally impossible to get photos or video to share the experience with friends and family unless you have good equipment, training, etc, - none of which I have. Washington obviously would only be done under very favorable conditions. Not doing it just to say I did it but to hopefully capture photos of the experience.
    That's interesting about the med leading to sunburn risk - I had assumed it was photo sensitivity with the eyes (which I've heard about with Lyme disease before). Hope it's not long!

    Re: Night hiking Caps Ridge - a sunrise over the Great Gulf sounds beautiful! You're point about night photos is very true. It mostly looks like you're in the middle of nowhere. I have a friend who does some great photography, and he'll do a long expose and 'paint' the scene with a headlamp. Usually he's capturing the sky as well, so it's usually a nice shot, like this.

    Hope you're able to get out somewhere this weekend!
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  11. #11
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbren View Post
    An indoor day for me, wherever there is AC. Since I am going out of town the following weekend probably a stay at home in the AC weekend.

    Sorry to hear about the Lyme disease Daytrip. Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge makes a great night hike, especially if there is a good moon. Great view of the lights of Burlington, Plattsburgh and the Dannemora.
    I'll keep that in mind although I generally do not like to night hike a trail I haven't previously traveled at least once. Still have only one VT hike under my belt.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  12. #12
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    That's interesting about the med leading to sunburn risk - I had assumed it was photo sensitivity with the eyes (which I've heard about with Lyme disease before). Hope it's not long!
    It doesn't specifically say why to avoid sun on prescription bottle. My doctor made brief mention of sunburn. I Googled the name of meds and it really didn't turn up much "why" about avoiding sun. My eyes are already generally pretty sensitive to bright sun so if that is indeed the reason I expect I'd get some pretty awesome head aches then. My prescription was a 3 week supply. Booooo........
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  13. #13
    Senior Member Frodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, MA
    Posts
    555
    I am planning on insulating my attic tomorrow.

    In all seriousness, night hiking can be a lot of fun this time of year, especially during the Perseid Meteor Shower in Aug. If you time it right and catch the sunrise on the way down, it can be an amazing experience. One time we were on Monroe heading to Washington to watch the sunrise, and we kept noticing something flying in and out of our head lamp beams. Turned out to be a bat which was feeding off the insects that were attracted to the light....
    "If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door"

    - Paul Beatty

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    It doesn't specifically say why to avoid sun on prescription bottle. My doctor made brief mention of sunburn. I Googled the name of meds and it really didn't turn up much "why" about avoiding sun. My eyes are already generally pretty sensitive to bright sun so if that is indeed the reason I expect I'd get some pretty awesome head aches then. My prescription was a 3 week supply. Booooo........
    I'm assuming they gave you something like doxy. That one absorbs UV light and releases it into the skin, killing cells and causing kind of a sunburn type reaction.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    It doesn't specifically say why to avoid sun on prescription bottle. My doctor made brief mention of sunburn. I Googled the name of meds and it really didn't turn up much "why" about avoiding sun. My eyes are already generally pretty sensitive to bright sun so if that is indeed the reason I expect I'd get some pretty awesome head aches then. My prescription was a 3 week supply. Booooo........
    If you are in the typical 21 day Doxy course sunburn is a legitimate concern. My wife and I have both had lyme with the resulting antibiotic regimen. She is more fair skinned plus it was mid summer and despite quite a bit of covering up she was burned badly. I am darker plus my case was in November and I didn't experience any issues.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •