Really Hot Humid Weekend Coming up

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly I expect with climate change, this weekend is going to be a more frequent occurrence for the indefinite future. I wonder how many folks will be heeding the various heat index advisories? I expect more than few folks may be getting in trouble on the weekend due to lack of fluids and electolytes.

My plans are a hike on Friday on a lesser used shady trail with lots of water nearby with an AMC hut to refill water before a shady north facing trail heading down. No doubt it will still be nasty in the early afternoon but I plan to be in the car and headed home before possibly afternoon weather. I expect I will find something far less strenuous to do on Saturday. I may try to do a early morning hike to my favorite blueberry mountain in Maine to check on this seasons crop.

So what are other folks plans to avoid the heat?

I am enjoying my first episode with lyme disease and one of the major side effects of the prescription they gave me is to avoid direct sun/exposure to sun. So that is no problem in July right? :( Looks like I'll be going into vampire mode for the next few weeks. I am actually considering a dusk to dawn night hike if the weather conditions allow. No idea where. A midnight summit of Washington has always been on the bucket list. Maybe this will be the week. It seems like whenever my conditioning really gets in a good place something comes along to derail it.

The sucks to hear about Lyme and the sunlight restriction. Are you able to drive during the day, or do you have to stay indoors? Night-hiking is wonderful, although I don't know if Washington would be my first choice - I think I'd scoot up Jefferson via Caps Ridge (more time above the trees, although limited loop options), although with the chance of storms, you might want a route with shelter. Caps would give you a good view to the west to see in-coming weather at least. :)

I've been driving all over New England for work the past few weeks and haven't noticed any real effects other than brightness. I guess the issue is that the meds make skin very sensitive and it can burn easily so sunburn and all the related issues are magnified. I bought one of those warm weather "sun shirts" that I'm going to try out on a modest hike this weekend and see.

As far as night hikes I'm no stranger to hiking in the dark. Been well above treeline many times in the dark. I actually did Caps Ridge Trail on 10/30/17 to catch a sunrise (which was awesome). My GoPro takes pretty decent night pictures so plan is to do a "photo shoot" in the dark and see if it can capture what the naked eye sees. Hiking above treeline in the dark is quite awesome but it is generally impossible to get photos or video to share the experience with friends and family unless you have good equipment, training, etc, - none of which I have. Washington obviously would only be done under very favorable conditions. Not doing it just to say I did it but to hopefully capture photos of the experience.

Sadly I expect with climate change, this weekend is going to be a more frequent occurrence for the indefinite future. I wonder how many folks will be heeding the various heat index advisories? I expect more than few folks may be getting in trouble on the weekend due to lack of fluids and electolytes.

My plans are a hike on Friday on a lesser used shady trail with lots of water nearby with an AMC hut to refill water before a shady north facing trail heading down. No doubt it will still be nasty in the early afternoon but I plan to be in the car and headed home before possibly afternoon weather. I expect I will find something far less strenuous to do on Saturday. I may try to do a early morning hike to my favorite blueberry mountain in Maine to check on this seasons crop.

So what are other folks plans to avoid the heat?

Peakbagger: Here in West Central Maine (Mt Blue - Tumbledown) the Blueberries are at least two weeks behind. I was on my local Blueberry mountain yesterday for a BB Reconnaissance and that is what I found.

An indoor day for me, wherever there is AC. Since I am going out of town the following weekend probably a stay at home in the AC weekend.

Sorry to hear about the Lyme disease Daytrip. Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge makes a great night hike, especially if there is a good moon. Great view of the lights of Burlington, Plattsburgh and the Dannemora.

An indoor day for me, wherever there is AC. Since I am going out of town the following weekend probably a stay at home in the AC weekend.

Sorry to hear about the Lyme disease Daytrip. Mt Mansfield via Sunset Ridge makes a great night hike, especially if there is a good moon. Great view of the lights of Burlington, Plattsburgh and the Dannemora.

I'll keep that in mind although I generally do not like to night hike a trail I haven't previously traveled at least once. Still have only one VT hike under my belt.

That's interesting about the med leading to sunburn risk - I had assumed it was photo sensitivity with the eyes (which I've heard about with Lyme disease before). Hope it's not long!

It doesn't specifically say why to avoid sun on prescription bottle. My doctor made brief mention of sunburn. I Googled the name of meds and it really didn't turn up much "why" about avoiding sun. My eyes are already generally pretty sensitive to bright sun so if that is indeed the reason I expect I'd get some pretty awesome head aches then. My prescription was a 3 week supply. Booooo........

I am planning on insulating my attic tomorrow. :eek:

In all seriousness, night hiking can be a lot of fun this time of year, especially during the Perseid Meteor Shower in Aug. If you time it right and catch the sunrise on the way down, it can be an amazing experience. One time we were on Monroe heading to Washington to watch the sunrise, and we kept noticing something flying in and out of our head lamp beams. Turned out to be a bat which was feeding off the insects that were attracted to the light....

It doesn't specifically say why to avoid sun on prescription bottle. My doctor made brief mention of sunburn. I Googled the name of meds and it really didn't turn up much "why" about avoiding sun. My eyes are already generally pretty sensitive to bright sun so if that is indeed the reason I expect I'd get some pretty awesome head aches then. My prescription was a 3 week supply. Booooo........

I'm assuming they gave you something like doxy. That one absorbs UV light and releases it into the skin, killing cells and causing kind of a sunburn type reaction.

If you are in the typical 21 day Doxy course sunburn is a legitimate concern. My wife and I have both had lyme with the resulting antibiotic regimen. She is more fair skinned plus it was mid summer and despite quite a bit of covering up she was burned badly. I am darker plus my case was in November and I didn't experience any issues.

JoshandBaron and OldEric I am on Doxycycline Hyclate, which I assume is what you are calling "Doxy". I usually have a pretty good tan at this time of year and don't generally burn unless I spend many hours in direct sun (when I almost without fail don't think to put suntan lotion on for). I'm not going to hole up in my house like a hermit but I don't want to push my luck either. Definitely sucks in July but it is only 2 more weeks. Just have to suck it up for now and avoid time above treeline.

After 2 rounds of Lyme, I can say that the sun sensitivity from the Doxy was worse that the disease itself. I survived the 3 week med cycle using long sleeve spf shirts, sunscreen & hats. I did not have to hide inside, but I certainly took extra care in avoiding sun exposure.

091F4922-9B37-485F-B1D3-FB6708CB07F2.jpgIn an effort to get this thread somewhat back on track a little humor. Be careful out there.

Regarding doxycycline, the rumors are true. Avoid shellfish. :eek:

I hadn't read that but I'll keep in mind. Other than clams I do like seafood and eat it often in the Summer.

We ended up making a hike up Madison Gulf trail on Friday with a few relining detours for the redliners in the crowd. It was quite pleasant in the morning. Plenty of breezes and water flowing to keep things cool. It was actually cold in the wind over at the Parapet. Madison Hut was quite busy. Heading down Valley Way it got decidedly damper and warmer until the trailhead.