now the Grid is being speed hiked

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess we shouldn't expect challenges to this record for at least a year as 2020 is a leap year! :)

He finished with a bang too. Adding the Direttissima to finish, pretty damn cool.

This has an interesting dynamic. Picking the right months and speed hiking either end will be critical. :D

A different way to count it might be the total time or days one was actually hiking.

This is a race. What kind? For speed runners on the AT, which is contiguous, it makes sense to clock from start to finish. But look at the Tour de France, which is in stages. If one were going by time, it would make sense instead to clock ride time.

Tom is on point. If we clocked a speed grid from start to finish, it's really all about the first and last months, but that doesn't make a lot of sense, given the nature of starting over each month. It seems to make more sense to think of this as a stage race, and clock time hiking.

Brian

Thanks for posting this. Interesting read. He documented his grid journey very well which was cool to check out.
In terms of a calendar year, isn't the least possible amount of days one could complete the grid approximately 337? (365 days per year minus 31 days for December, + 3 days to do all 48 in the final month?)

Since the 48 have been done in under 4 days in summer and under 7 in winter (under 5 and just over 8 myself, respectively), the least number of days to do the Grid should be around 66? 78? At least under 100 days given somewhat cooperative conditions.

After I completed the (still only) Jan-Dec Calendar Year Grid in 2016, my effort was somewhat erroneously nominated for the FKT of the Year award. I commented on social media that the nomination was rather silly, that I was not trying for an FKT per se, but attempting “merely” to hike all 576 in one fun-filled year, AND that if a person wanted the honor of the FKT, they should do the 48 fast in Aug and July, thus completing the Grid in 10.5 months. Which is exactly what he did.

A few weeks ago I commented that the next thing would be to do them speedily in each month, thus having the “FKT” by the least total number of days. Surely someone will do it!!

Gotcha - that make sense now, if you start at the end of the first month and finish in the first 3 days of the last month, then you could get it down to around 309 days from the calendar start to finish. After that it will just be shaving off hours and minutes because it would be impossible to do it in any fewer days.