Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourists making a mess of national Parks

Tourists making a mess of national Parks

I'm going in Sept there for the 3rd time. Mostly I've seen the park pristine but that's Sept not summer tourists. Totally different atmosphere. At Mesa Verde once the day after Labor Day the park ranger said how glad the summer is over. And he welcomes us old folks with no kids,etc. He said it's plain crazy summers with families almost killing themselves. No way would I go out in the Summer. I would take Winter in crampons then that. And that's what were doing for Yosemite. Going way off season to avoid the California craziness.

Carelessly leaving lots of trash in GNP could have some very real, very natural consequences.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Don't forget that we are melting the glaciers too. Maybe they can change the name to Greenhouse Effect National Park?
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Well...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/48287...-emily-zanotti

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...-cans/8710527/

But of course I agree that everyone should carry out what they carry in. If all visitors to our various resources just had two thoughts in mind: "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" and "If you carry it in, carry it out" we'd be in a lot better shape...

Someone should have pushed those golfers over the edge.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    That article suggests that the process is natural, but most of the glaciers have disappeared in the last 60 years, not 'bit by bit' since the last ice age. The article appears to have the sole purpose to attack the political left, as opposed to a serious discussion of the topic. It would be disingenuous of me to light your house on fire and argue that it's temperature has fluctuated before.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    That article suggests that the process is natural, but most of the glaciers have disappeared in the last 60 years, not 'bit by bit' since the last ice age. The article appears to have the sole purpose to attack the political left, as opposed to a serious discussion of the topic. It would be disingenuous of me to light your house on fire and argue that it's temperature has fluctuated before.
    How dare you suggest that Ben Shapiro would actively push some sort of right wing agenda! For Shame!

** sigh **

How do you folks reconcile summit cannisters?

Well if the threadjacking is over, maybe we can discuss the actual topic of the OP.

JoshandBaron, that's a good question. There is a lot of man-made stuff in the woods. The range includes historical artifacts and structures, trails, trail signs and markers, canisters, garbage, etc..

Each area has to have an honest conversation and policy about what they want in the woods, and what they do not want in the woods. In most areas, I think most people agree that we do not want garbage, diapers, golf balls, etc. in the woods. (In the Adirondacks, specifically, the 46ers have long ago removed the summit canisters based on conversations years ago.)

In some areas, the people using the area agree that we do want trails, markers, signs, canisters, etc.. I think where the biggest failings have been, both in NY and NH, are in not realistically managing this. In the Adirondacks again, the failings are coming based on the State promoting the area as a tourist destination, but then trying to manage it as a "wilderness." We have a rolling disaster going on as a result, with no end in sight.

The lesson is that the important thing is to come to a common sense agreement, and then do a good job of maintaining whatever is agreed upon.

IMHO, the problem of trash in (National) Parks is just an extension of what happens in the cities. I once complained about trash along Path Train tracks - I got a reply that they would look into this, and years later I see the same trash every morning. Sad.

I used to walk a two mile loop in Kennebunk with a group of co-workers at lunchtime. Every day we saw the same trash. We got sick of the trash along our walk, so one day, I grabbed some garbage bags and nitrile gloves and we picked up the trash along our route. The first time we got 4 30 gallon trash bags filled with assorted diapers, discarded mail, empty nip bottles, cans, bottles and the like. The next day, it was clean. It became a semi-annual event. Nothing more to complain about.

Be that somebody that that you wish would cleanup our natural areas.

=iis just an extension of what happens in the cities.
    Yes it is a cultural thing. We've been conditioned to believe it is OK to fling cigarette butts out the window, throw a candy wrapper on the ground, etc. I remember seeing an interesting documentary several years back about this. They visited Tokyo, a city in Chile (forget which one) and their public subways were as clean as restaurant kitchens. And not because they had an extensive maintenance program but because it was culturally unthinkable to throw trash on ground, paint grafitti, etc. Not sure if it has remained that way over the years but it was a striking contrast to the "me first" attitude in the US.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

I've been to the Nat Parks out West 5 times. Did 11 of them last year covering 9000 miles rt and doing at least 4 this Sept. and never seen trash at all any where. But this is Sept not summer like I said. Different crowds then.