Guyot Shelter will be closed September 1st-18th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AMC_shelters

Please be advised that the Guyot Shelter will be closed and under construction from September 1st-18th. The campsite will continue to be open for tenting on the platforms during this time. If you have any questions, please contact the AMC Backcountry Campsite Program at [email protected].

Please be advised that the Guyot Shelter will be closed and under construction from September 1st-18th. The campsite will continue to be open for tenting on the platforms during this time. If you have any questions, please contact the AMC Backcountry Campsite Program at [email protected].

Any word about the new shelter being bigger or smaller, the same design or different? That shelter holds some good memories going back to the 1990s! It was noticeably leaning last fall when I visited, so I'm glad to see it getting some TLC.

My guess is footing or sill repair of existing structure. Shelter replacement is an entire season plus some of the preceding fall season.

I was lucky enough to stay there multiple times, with only the people I was with and the caretaker. Talk about days gone by. Its a great shelter and location for mortals like me.

I was lucky enough to stay there multiple times, with only the people I was with and the caretaker. Talk about days gone by. Its a great shelter and location for mortals like me.

It can still happen, under the right circumstances. Back in 2015 I stayed at Guyot on the Thursday before Columbus Day weekend. Caretaker wasn't even there. Just me until a fellow and his two sons showed up just before sunset.

Of course, it was forecast to ran all day on Friday which no doubt kept people away.

Salty! Historical Aerials - What an interesting web site! 1939 maps in particular show how massively the area was logged. The extent of network of skidder trails is mind boggling. Washburn's oblique aerial photos of Hancock in various books shows skidder trails really well. I always wondered if he had more.

On a side note, I'd love to see Guyot add an advanced permit system. It is such a zoo there these days.

That is a fantastic idea. To bad it would cut into the revenue steam for the AMC coffers, hence probably not going to happen.

That is a fantastic idea. To bad it would cut into the revenue steam for the AMC coffers, hence probably not going to happen.
The AMC loses money on the backcountry sites. And it would be the USFS that implements any permit system, not the AMC. There are plenty of things to criticize the AMC for, but this really isn't one of them.

The AMC loses money on the backcountry sites. And it would be the USFS that implements any permit system, not the AMC. There are plenty of things to criticize the AMC for, but this really isn't one of them.
Interesting they loose money. Last time I checked their was no discount for AMC members staying at backcountry for fee sites run by the AMC. Yet if you were staying at one of the huts there was a discount. Things may have changed but when I inquired about this I was told the reason there was no discount was that places like Guyout were drawing monies from different parts of their overall budget than the huts.

Point taken.