Thread: Guyot Shelter will be closed September 1st-18th

AMC_shelters

Post Guyot Shelter will be closed September 1st-18th

Please be advised that the Guyot Shelter will be closed and under construction from September 1st-18th. The campsite will continue to be open for tenting on the platforms during this time. If you have any questions, please contact the AMC Backcountry Campsite Program at jroman@outdoors.org.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC_shelters View Post
    Please be advised that the Guyot Shelter will be closed and under construction from September 1st-18th. The campsite will continue to be open for tenting on the platforms during this time. If you have any questions, please contact the AMC Backcountry Campsite Program at jroman@outdoors.org.
    Any word about the new shelter being bigger or smaller, the same design or different? That shelter holds some good memories going back to the 1990s! It was noticeably leaning last fall when I visited, so I'm glad to see it getting some TLC.
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."
    --Soren Kierkegaard, 1838

Labor day weekend seems like a solid time to close a popular shelter.

My guess is footing or sill repair of existing structure. Shelter replacement is an entire season plus some of the preceding fall season.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    My guess is footing or sill repair of existing structure. Shelter replacement is an entire season plus some of the preceding fall season.
    Looks like a full rebuild this season.https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...s-in-september
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Looks like a full rebuild this season.https://www.outdoors.org/articles/am...s-in-september
    How cow - 141 people were there on one night!

Also, the view from 1939 is impressive for how much it's changed.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I was lucky enough to stay there multiple times, with only the people I was with and the caretaker. Talk about days gone by. Its a great shelter and location for mortals like me.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I was lucky enough to stay there multiple times, with only the people I was with and the caretaker. Talk about days gone by. Its a great shelter and location for mortals like me.
    It can still happen, under the right circumstances. Back in 2015 I stayed at Guyot on the Thursday before Columbus Day weekend. Caretaker wasn't even there. Just me until a fellow and his two sons showed up just before sunset.

Of course, it was forecast to ran all day on Friday which no doubt kept people away.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Also, the view from 1939 is impressive for how much it's changed.
    Check out the 1939 aerial of the area. The grey/black delineation is the ridgeline, the "bald spot" below Bond is at lower right.

The Parker-Young logging was pretty much on the back doorstep.

https://www.historicaerials.com/loca...403932/1939/15

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Salty! Historical Aerials - What an interesting web site! 1939 maps in particular show how massively the area was logged. The extent of network of skidder trails is mind boggling. Washburn's oblique aerial photos of Hancock in various books shows skidder trails really well. I always wondered if he had more.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "i think I've lost an electron"
    I said "are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

On a side note, I'd love to see Guyot add an advanced permit system. It is such a zoo there these days.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
    On a side note, I'd love to see Guyot add an advanced permit system. It is such a zoo there these days.
    That is a fantastic idea. To bad it would cut into the revenue steam for the AMC coffers, hence probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    That is a fantastic idea. To bad it would cut into the revenue steam for the AMC coffers, hence probably not going to happen.
    The AMC loses money on the backcountry sites. And it would be the USFS that implements any permit system, not the AMC. There are plenty of things to criticize the AMC for, but this really isn't one of them.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    The AMC loses money on the backcountry sites. And it would be the USFS that implements any permit system, not the AMC. There are plenty of things to criticize the AMC for, but this really isn't one of them.
    Interesting they loose money. Last time I checked their was no discount for AMC members staying at backcountry for fee sites run by the AMC. Yet if you were staying at one of the huts there was a discount. Things may have changed but when I inquired about this I was told the reason there was no discount was that places like Guyout were drawing monies from different parts of their overall budget than the huts.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    Point taken.