ADK 46 completed by 4-year old

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was amazing to read/see about her doing peak after peak, doing the Great Range, HaBaSa, and all kinds of other tough days. She's not fast, and the parents were carrying most of the gear, but she took every step herself. Some of these were multi day backpacks as well.

What might be even more amazing is that the parents back packed her up every peak when she was very little!

Last edited:
I am a big fan of getting kids out in the woods at a young age, but I question how healthy it is for kids so young to be pushed in to this kind of feat. I also question the point. She will have vivid memories from these hikes, but the vast majority will soon be a blur, if not already. The motivation to do this was completely coming from the parents, its purpose is in large part to stoke their own ego.

I am a big fan of getting kids out in the woods at a young age, but I question how healthy it is for kids so young to be pushed in to this kind of feat. I also question the point. She will have vivid memories from these hikes, but the vast majority will soon be a blur, if not already. The motivation to do this was completely coming from the parents, its purpose is in large part to stoke their own ego.
With all due respect you are entitled to your opinion. But I disagree with your assumptions. Unless you personally know these folks then I find it hard to judge. What an excellent experience for both the kid and the parents. When my daughter was growing up my Wife and I always disliked it when another Adult knew what was better or best for her. As far as stoking their own egos. You make it sound like the parents were behind her with a whip. I’m sure if this kid didn’t want to do this impressive task it would have been very difficult to make her do it. Congratulations to this family. Well done.

If you watch some of the videos, you can see pure joy on her face.

She's been trained for this for sure, but not in a bad way. Her mother and she run and bike a lot. Knowing them, I do not believe it is for publicity, or glory, it's just what they love to do, and now they are sharing it with their daughter.

If you watch some of the videos, you can see pure joy on her face.

She's been trained for this for sure, but not in a bad way. Her mother and she run and bike a lot. Knowing them, I do not believe it is for publicity, or glory, it's just what they love to do, and now they are sharing it with their daughter.

This was my general impression too. Parents who love the outdoors hoping their daughter will too and delighting in the fact that she does. I get what TEO is saying though. There are a lot of examples of this on social media of people pushing their children and pets just to show everyone what they are doing. It's a comparative/competitive sort of ailment that everyone seems to have now that phones can capture every last second of our lives and advertise it to the world. It's more important that other people think you're awesome and having fun rather than actually just having fun. If you have fun all by yourself and nobody knows was it really fun? :p

I got to do the last 100 highest hike with Gene Daniell's family when his daughter was finishing off her 100 highest on WhiteCap. I think she was 6 and was proud that she had beat her brother who did it at 7. She was very proud that she had hiked them all (no being carried). Gene was asked how he had "outdoor kids" and the answer was that what they did as family since the kids were born. I think I remember seeing a story that Gene did a lot of trail checking for one edition of an AMC guide while carrying one of his very young children. Obviously there is Alex and Sage who started young and are still at it.

I do know of a few folks that are now adults that did permanent damage to their knees while doing competitive running when young, one parent was into hard core running and the way the kids got praise was to keep up with dad. I think the difference with hiking is hopefully the parents are going along for the ride at the child's pace ready with a support net if things cease to be fun at some point on the hike.

Yeah, well my 10-year-old hiked to the top of Hunter Mountain with me a few weeks ago. So take THAT, overachieving 4-year-old! ;) :D

Hunter Mountain

Seriously though ... cool deal. Congrats to both Mom and Dad as well as the girl. Even if she eventually forgets many of the moments, she’ll never forget the experience of it all.

Even if she eventually forgets many of the moments, she’ll never forget the experience of it all.

I would not be surprised if she did forget the experience of it all. At best she will likely hold on to a few distinct moments.

Regarding earlier comments about six year olds, etc., developmentally, there is a huge difference between three and four years old, and five and six years old.

^^^^

The Esper clan immediately comes to mind. Don’t know if you’re familiar with them but they were pretty controversial for awhile during my early hiking years. Parents and kids were out there all the time, setting Adirondack young age records and attacking the Northeast 111 in winter. Don’t know what became of all of them, but I have followed Jonathan Esper a bit, largely I think because he went on to become a 50-state highpoint completer as well.

Jonathan Esper’s story in his own words

Anyway, it’s too early to say how it’ll all work out with this young girl. Maybe this is a “one and done” kind of experience where the memories will eventually fade to old photos and videos or maybe she’ll go on to a life in the mountains much as Mr. Esper has.

Article doesn't mention that Siobhan Carney-Nesbitt is the current president of the 46ers.

I remember following a family with infants attempting the Santanonis. Parents had run out of water on the ridge between Panther and Santanoni. They also left full diapers by the trail. ("I'll get them later," the father said.) The kids looked shell-shocked.