What is this animal ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I was hiking today and came across a roadkill that I don't recognize. I was near a pond. It's about the size of a large cat. It doesn't appear to be a fox, a raccoon, a beaver, an otter, a cat, a dog, or any other mammal I'm familiar with.

If you are not squeamish, have a look here:

http://viewsandbrews.com/pic15.jpg

If you know what it is, please let me know.

i'm not an expert, but i've read a few books, and i would say that that's then first ever jackalope spotted here in the northeast.

luke

Muskrats I've seen always had a slimmer, non-furry tail, unlike the roadkill. Also they are fatter. No?

lumberzac's reference shows that too.

Last edited:
cat?

I'm guessing house cat that has been there awhile.

that's definitely not a fisher, i hit one of them with my car once, and i can tell you that's whatever you saw is not a fisher. fisher's generally are very long, with a tail almost as long as their bodys. the tail is also much fluffier, and the legs don't appear to be quite as long as those of a fisher.

It's definitely not a fisher, they have a much bigger tail. Plus they are skinnier like a ferret. I think Fitz is right, it's a domestic cat that's been there a while. The back legs definitely look like a cat.

this is a fisher
fcat02.jpg

this is a muskrat
wild5a.JPG

I don't know what you have there.

Did you get a chance to count the toes?

That tail certainly, and maybe the hands and feet, look like the animal might be a raccoon. Maybe a young one that hasn't developed the full facial markings? Just a very very very long shot guess.

As many people probably know, spring is the time when the young mammals are kicked out and sent off to find their own territories. Hence a lot of inexperienced mammals end up as roadkill.

Praire dog or groundhog maybe? :confused:

But here is the REAL answer... DEAD

The tail and fur looks like a racoon and the body and head looks like a cat. Not a fisher,martin,musrat,oppossum,bandicoot,.... I've seen several small racoons recently, probaly your best bet.

Papa Bear said:
Muskrats I've seen always had a slimmer, non-furry tail, unlike the roadkill. Also they are fatter. No?

lumberzac's reference shows that too.

I agree with Papa Bear. It's not a muskrat. I don't think it is a cat because of the diffrent size of the front and back feet and also the long toes.

I think it's a woodchuck.

Brianw: This is for you.