Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New AMC Logo....a good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I guess I'm out in left field on this one. My first impression when I saw the logo was a guy wearing one of those cliff jumping suits with the webbing in the arm pits and crotch to ride the updrafts and "fly". Probably not what the AMC was shooting for. :P

I also do not like the logo and feel it is inspires no sense of anything. It's too busy and confusing to me. I can't imagine people who are not familiar with the AMC would have any idea what the logo signifies. A good logo should immediately convey a brand identity. Even knowing what the AMC is I get nothing from the logo. If I already know the company and have to actively think about what the logo is telling me it is a "fail" in my book.
    Well we must be in left field together. You do a nice job of summing up my impressions also. Whole thing kind of left me scratching my head. When your as old as dirt as I am you can have a lot of visual preconceptions. Maybe the new logo is just that. The newer/younger perspective.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Well we must be in left field together. You do a nice job of summing up my impressions also. Whole thing kind of left me scratching my head. When your as old as dirt as I am you can have a lot of visual preconceptions. Maybe the new logo is just that. The newer/younger perspective.
    Just go back to your rocking chair on the porch and wait for some kids to walk by to yell at.

Personally I would then question whether their new message on inclusiveness is really being communicated through this new logo.
    The AMC has many facets, and for a hiker's forum such as this, it may, admittedly, be hard to remember that. But when the organization is thinking about "inclusion," having a mountain on its logo fails to capture the fact that some of its chapters have quite active cycling committees populated by folks who literally never step foot on a hiking trail. The same for kayakers or rock climbers who only encounter trails while portaging or getting to a crag. Likewise, for many young people in Boston, the Young Member's Committee has all sorts of local activities that do not bring people to the mountains.

I would be interested to see what percentage of active members do something other than hike. I suspect the percentage could be extremely high!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    The AMC has many facets, and for a hiker's forum such as this, it may, admittedly, be hard to remember that. But when the organization is thinking about "inclusion," having a mountain on its logo fails to capture the fact that some of its chapters have quite active cycling committees populated by folks who literally never step foot on a hiking trail. The same for kayakers or rock climbers who only encounter trails while portaging or getting to a crag. Likewise, for many young people in Boston, the Young Member's Committee has all sorts of local activities that do not bring people to the mountains.

I would be interested to see what percentage of active members do something other than hike. I suspect the percentage could be extremely high!

Brian
    Still having a hard time how a man in a mini skirt will accomplish that. But I guess we will find out.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

This is good info and I agree on the changing demographic. Part of that also seems to be the trend towards more day hiking which may correlate to the lack of money to obtain the gear from the younger crowd. There seems to be a lack of long term commitment to the hobby of hiking. Many younger folks seem to be a part of this and that rather to one centralized passion. A bit of thread drift. Can you elaborate on the "The AMC Black Brook bushwhack ban"? I am not personally acquainted with that. Thanks in advance.
    I think he meant Black Pond. I remember hearing something about them not being allowed to lead trips on that route anymore. Not sure how that reconciles with the "whack" to the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    ...having a mountain on its logo fails to capture the fact that some of its chapters have quite active cycling committees populated by folks who literally never step foot on a hiking trail. The same for kayakers or rock climbers who only encounter trails while portaging or getting to a crag. Likewise, for many young people in Boston, the Young Member's Committee has all sorts of local activities that do not bring people to the mountains.
    All good points. But perhaps one could be forgiven for thinking the Appalachian Mountain Club had something to do with mountains? I don't know the complete history of the AMC, but from what I can tell the organization was traditionally focused on pursuits within the Appalachian mountains, and those mountains have been an integral component of the organization's mission. I perceive a gradual shift in this focus towards expansion of the AMC footprint into other 'outdoor' pursuits, 'conservation,' urban youth engagement, and a whole host of other items that don't necessarily involve the Appalachian mountains. I'm not making a value judgement there, just stating my perception. Time will tell if something is lost in the transition.
    Sure. Why not.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    FYI: Google Images AMC Logo Search

I self-identify as a cyclist, hiker, skier, angler

Tim
    What about a sleeper, an eater, and a repeater?
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Another project by committee with the result that it stands for everything and nothing at the same time.

I don't see how anyone can be marginalized in the outdoors, though. Take away unnecessary technical gear, especially the electronics, and its one of the least expensive and most accessible recreational pursuits available.
    I don't think that people are marginalized in the outdoors - I think there is a large population of people that don't have access to it to begin with. It's inexpensive and accessible to people who already enjoy a certain amount of prosperity and freedom.

Think about everything that's involved for you to go on a day hike the Franconia Ridge you need some gear - the 10 essentials perhaps? That might run you 20-30 bucks if your thrifty. You also need a pack, and good shoes, and non-cotton clothes. You need to know the weather and the trail, which most people probably get using a computer with an internet connection. You need to get to and from the trailhead, which for most of us means a car or carpooling, which means you have to own a car, pay for insurance, gas, etc. And not to be overlooked - you need the time! You need to be able to not work for a whole day. There are a lot of people that can't afford that.

So, my point is that it's not so much that the cost for hiking is low, it's that the additional cost is low for most of us.

As for my thoughts on the logo, it's clearly a conveyor belt leading to two mountains under a full moon.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    Along those lines, I would suspect that the AMC's brand identity guide stipulates use of the logo in conjunction with other text or graphic elements that make it easy to figure out what the organization's purpose, goals, and message are.

The logo probably never has to do any heavy lifting on its own in conveying these, so that it ends up signifying whatever it needs to, to anyone, depending on context.
    Good points Barkingcat. I'm sure the logo is part of a larger context in the rebranding campaign.

But what comes to mind for me WRT the new logo is the saying: "You got to stand for something or you stand really for nothing."

The new logo with tag line "Come cycle (hike, climb, ski, paddle, yoga, watercolor) with us" just might attract a new audience. I hope so.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingcat View Post
    The logo probably never has to do any heavy lifting on its own in conveying these, so that it ends up signifying whatever it needs to, to anyone, depending on context.

It's interesting to read a lot of the comments on this thread about "liking" or "not liking" the logo.
    I disagree. Liking or not liking is a matter of getting the hook in the mouth. The Logo is at the doorstep of initial appeal. If the door is unappealing why go any further into to the depths of their marketing campaign? The Logo if done well should do a lot of the heavy lifting. It should make one want to explore into their web page to begin with let alone ante up for membership or services. I do not think the Logo supports it's communication goals. The "AMC" part of the logo isn't even clear. Of course this is coming from someone whom dislikes the Logo.
    Last edited by skiguy; 08-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.

I know one thing for certain: I won't be buying a patch :-)
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I self-identify as a cyclist, hiker, skier, angler
    And if we turn your screen name over to a fancy marketing firm, it would get changed to wheelfootiesboardpole. Clear, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    When I first saw the logo, it struck me as a man in a mini skirt.
    Orrrr, perhaps they're marketing to Scotsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    And if we turn your screen name over to a fancy marketing firm, it would get changed to wheelfootiesboardpole. Clear, right?
    Careful. I can actually change your screen name

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way

Now this is a rebranding challenge....

I disagree. Liking or not liking is a matter of getting the hook in the mouth. The Logo is at the doorstep of initial appeal. If the door is unappealing why go any further into to the depths of their marketing campaign? The Logo if done well should do a lot of the heavy lifting. It should make one want to explore into their web page to begin with let alone ante up for membership or services. I do not think the Logo supports it's communication goals. The "AMC" part of the logo isn't even clear. Of course this is coming from someone whom dislikes the Logo.
    In the spirit of a little thread drift...

You think the AMC has some rebranding challenges? That's nothing.

Harley Davidson, that icon of American macho, just released a $30,000 ELECTRIC (noiseless) motorcycle they have dubbed the "Livewire!"

Now that's a marketer's nightmare.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 08-07-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama