Thread: How long is a sealed jar of Sno-Seal good for ?

How long is a sealed jar of Sno-Seal good for ?

About forever, right ?
    I'm thinking this one is about 25 years old.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

My guess is it might separate at some point. Even though its claimed to be beeswax, the MSDS lists hydrotreated petroleum distillates as an ingredient. Generally hydro treated implies cracking and once something is cracked it tends to want to go back to where it came.

If in doubt I suspect you may have to stir it.

Chip, I have one genuine, bona fide can of Sno-Seal that dates back to the mid-80's, and I can attest that it still works just fine!

I will 2nd Salty's reply. I also have a can from the 80's that I still use from time to time. I simply do not have many applications for the stuff these days and a little goes a long way. IMO, if the solvent smell is still there then the petroleum has not evaporated. I have experienced no separation or signs of drying out as the can seals well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Dad View Post
    I will 2nd Salty's reply. I also have a can from the 80's that I still use from time to time. I simply do not have many applications for the stuff these days and a little goes a long way. IMO, if the solvent smell is still there then the petroleum has not evaporated. I have experienced no separation or signs of drying out as the can seals well.
    I'll open it soon and see as I have new boots to break in and seal. I have previously baked boots at like 150' and used plumbers torch to melt snow seal in. I'll need to review recommended techniques
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkle
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I'll open it soon and see as I have new boots to break in and seal. I have previously baked boots at like 150' and used plumbers torch to melt snow seal in. I'll need to review recommended techniques
    That still works for me, for anything that's more or less full leather, with a slight modification to save time and decrease fire hazard: bake boots at 150 F for 15 minutes; take one out and seal it (5 minutes); put it back in the oven and take the other out and seal it; repeat process till neither boot will take any more sno-seal. That'll last at least 6 months to a year typically. I have a can of it that's older than my oldest kid, who can now drink legally.
    --would rather be hiking than typing.

Note that Peter and Limmer and Sons have very bad things to say about Snow Seal and have their own formulation for their leather boots.

Beware of heating boots up, the adhesives used these days are actually less robust than sealants used in the past due to VOC regulations.

I've used the more gentler method of a hair dryer.

But, seeing as my wife and I are now separated, I guess I need to get a hair dryer.