Recommendations for MDI car camping?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
Any recommendations for tent camping with car parking at the tent site for Mt. Desert Island in the timeframe of mid September to mid October? Thanks.

Mt Desert Campground on Somes Sound.

A5-A7 and A11-A14 shoreside.

www.mtdesertcampground.com

Have to say, though, that the views of MDI are better from slightly off-island, and Lamoine Beach State Park fills that bill nicely.

I stayed at Blackwoods the last week of July and would highly recommend it. The campground is centralized to just about everything and walking distance to the Ocean Path. Otter rocks, Cadillac Mountain and others. Utilize the Backwoods Explorer bus (free) for additional exploration. Don't bring bikes. The park road is one way and you won't be able to easily return to your starting spot.

The NPS campgrounds, Blackwoods and Seawall, are nice enough but rather spartan - no hot water. Blackwoods is nicely located for most of the popular activities. Depending on exactly when you go - mid September to mid October is a big span - you may find some things not available. Not sure when the Island Explorer (shuttle bus which really helps with point to point adventures) stops running.

The NPS campgrounds, Blackwoods and Seawall, are nice enough but rather spartan - no hot water. Blackwoods is nicely located for most of the popular activities. Depending on exactly when you go - mid September to mid October is a big span - you may find some things not available. Not sure when the Island Explorer (shuttle bus which really helps with point to point adventures) stops running.

Island explorer stops after Columbus day. It's awesome being shuttled around by your own private bus driver. We took a trip around the island talking to the driver, only picked two other people the entire time

Mt Desert Campground on Somes Sound.

A5-A7 and A11-A14 shoreside.

www.mtdesertcampground.com

Have to say, though, that the views of MDI are better from slightly off-island, and Lamoine Beach State Park fills that bill nicely.

Dang, thought Lamoine Beach was our secret. It isn't full when the others are, and the sites are great. And my wife requires a hot shower every so often when we camp, and Lamoine has that.

Don't bring bikes. The park road is one way and you won't be able to easily return to your starting spot.

Oh! do bring bikes. The carriage roads are awesome to ride. They are a gem among the Park's many highlights. The road surface is smoothly graded, fine gravel. IIRC a road bike would be OK for experienced riders, especially with wider tires, but I suspect that most people would be more comfortable on a gravel, touring, hybrid, or mountain bike. I've used a mountain bike with slicks, I've used a mountain bike with slicks, because it was that or a road bike with 23mm wide tires, and that setup worked well.

Last edited:
I recall a place not far from Blackwoods that has coin-operated showers. I'm sure it must still be there. If you bring a bike and are in shape for it you can ride up top of Cadillac really early in morning to miss the traffic. The ride down is real hoot. Very well banked road.

I recall a place not far from Blackwoods that has coin-operated showers. I'm sure it must still be there. If you bring a bike and are in shape for it you can ride up top of Cadillac really early in morning to miss the traffic. The ride down is real hoot. Very well banked road.

The coin operated showers are at the entrance to the campground. If I recall, it was something like $3.00 for a 5 minute shower. Bring lots of quarters.

Island Explorer buses are all equipped with bike racks. Definitely pick up a map that shows the carriage trails and the NPS roadways, with all the cross-overs to MDI roads. You actually can make your way around the one-way section.