Q: Is Tecumseh a 4000'er ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I’ve also spoken with him while he was doing stone work on the trail. I think he also maintains the NETC website.

No one can predict the climate with any degree of reliability, despite claims to the contrary. But the data to date are stubbornly linear. My pure GUESS, based on current data and known and speculated mechanisms, is that the increase in atmospheric temperatures will continue to be linear, but will level off about 50 years from now. Very large scale systems that respond very slowly to temperature (such as polar ice sheets, deep sea temperatures, and sea levels) will lag this, and will level off about 100 years from now. 100 years from now someone can resurrect this post and see if I was close to right. :)

But I admit that this is a guess. Unlike Michael Mann and Al Gore, I have not spent 20 years trying to fabricate a "hockey stick" that refuses to appear, or manufacturing bogeymen to scare and indoctrinate schoolchildren.

The data and the science suggest to me that:

>the climate has been warming since the "Little Ice Age" and will continue to warm for the rest of our lives
>human activity contributes some portion of this warming, but how much is unclear
>well planned changes in human activity may "blunt" the warming trend slightly (I know what I would do if I were the "super-Czar" in charge of energy, but we can discuss on a separate thread)
>poorly planned, drastic changes in human activity may "blunt" the warming slightly, but will have very high and immediate social and financial costs that will far outweigh any benefit from blunting the warming trend in the "out years."

Much of what passes for analysis in this subject area is politically driven, and not scientifically valid.

Odd, because your post is politically driven, and not scientifically valid. My condolences to you on of the death of one of your beloved leaders. (BTW, who are you quoting?)

Re. Al Gore.

Re. Little Ice Age.

Re. the hockey stick.

Re. Scientific consensus.

Not quoting anyone in particular, just using the quotation marks to highlight word choices.

Never followed Koch; not worried about what he thought. (But saddened by the massive show of disgusting hatred that has been produced by his death...)

I don't let other people tell me what to believe; I look at data and try to understand it. Time will tell; I won't be around in 100 years to know if I was right or wrong. Maybe some of our youngest members will get a look at things in 70 years and be able to see what direction it's actually headed.

You can go back thousands of years and look at archeological records and see that the climate is constantly changing, long before mankind had any sort of impact on the environment. The Earth goes through frequent freeze/thaw cycles. We are in the midst of a thaw cycle. If history is any indication, the Earth will warm for another couple thousand years and then glaciate for 100,000 or so.

I was watching a show on Curiosity Stream about the Black Sea and scanning the sea floor for shipwrecks. The Black Sea was a large landlocked lake until the Mediterranean Sea levels rose and entered the Black Sea through the Bosphorous Strait. A couple researchers think it may have been as recently as 3000 years ago and gave rise to the Noah's Ark story in the Bible.

Is it really worth arguing over the significant height. It’s just a real nice hike from which side or the other.

Right!

And, since we make the rather arbitrary rules for the games we play, we can always create the... 3995rs

...if we find we really miss lil ole Tecumseh.

Right!

And, since we make the rather arbitrary rules for the games we play, we can always create the... 3995rs

...if we find we really miss lil ole Tecumseh.

I'm going with hexadecimal for the 0x1000' footers with a 0x100' col depth (4096'/256'). :D

It’s interesting how The 4000 footer list which started as a game has now become such anal obsession for some. So much for Miriam’s goal for spreading out the impact.

Over here in the Adirondacks our traditional "46" list includes Couchsacraga, one of our longest and toughest hikes, at 3820. Lots of gratuitous up and down, and a big swamp, just to get there.

So I'm all for the 3815ers!

Tecumseh looks really pretty.

It’s interesting how The 4000 footer list which started as a game has now become such anal obsession for some. So much for Miriam’s goal for spreading out the impact.

If they could have seen the future, aka social media. They never would have come up with the list.

I'm going with hexadecimal for the 0x1000' footers with a 0x100' col depth (4096'/256'). :D

Salty,

This is a GREAT approach for our digital age. I'm in! We can stream the award ceremony of Facebook and use Instagram to verify summits.

I'm not sure what the big deal about this is - I think very few hikers in White Mountains start their ascents at the sea level.

Thank you, Tom!

I remember watching snow boarders one nice winters day jumping off a ramp, gosh, we must have watched for forty-five minutes, and while Tecumseh has been my go-to on rainy days many a time, I hate to think that once it is dropped from the list--and I have to believe at some point it will be--maybe it won't bring people the memories we have all had on it.

Brian

p.s. Purely to pass the time, we once had a discussion about what route would be the most work for the least bang, and we came up with a winter traverse, starting at Waterville Valley, traversing over to Tripoli Rd, and then over the Osceolas.