Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camping Options On Isolation Trail / Davis Path

This is very underutilized area. Not a lot of great view except from Specked and Caribou. The level of trail marking is minimal to none in the wilderness area with the east end of Haystack Notch trail being the poster child for lack of any definable trailbed or blazing. The mountains are bit lower so more hardwood camping options.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    This is very underutilized area. Not a lot of great view except from Specked and Caribou. The level of trail marking is minimal to none in the wilderness area with the east end of Haystack Notch trail being the poster child for lack of any definable trailbed or blazing. The mountains are bit lower so more hardwood camping options.
    Sounds like a nice ridge. I don't have to have wide open, 360 degree panoramic views at every summit. Any sharp ridge where you can see out through the trees and get the occasional ledge with decent views is good in my book. Really enjoy the Catskills and Taconics for this. This hike sounds like it might be right up my alley except for the 4 hour ride to the trail heads. Have to see how the weather forecast is looking tomorrow when I get out of work.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

The ledges around 2400 feet on Cold Brook Trail is a great place to throw a tent or bivy. Awesome sunset and sunrise views. Could make a loop using Miles Notch, Red Rock, and Cold Brook. Cold Brook used to connect over to Hut Rd from Enid Melrose but now it appears to be a snowmo trail. Can take that or a short road walk to close the loop. Water was available at the Speckled summit 3 weeks ago when I did Cold Brook out and back. It's a downhill carry to the 2400 foot ledges if you don't camp right on the Speckled summit. Red Rock has a ledge that also makes for a nice albeit dry campsite. I don't think I've seen 20 total people in the sum of all my visits into this area. Precisely zero people outside the Speckled summit or Blueberry Ridge trail. If you're lucky, the folks down on Kezar will give you some fireworks shows.
    Last edited by JoshandBaron; 08-30-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    The ledges around 2400 feet on Cold Brook Trail is a great place to throw a tent or bivy. Awesome sunset and sunrise views. Could make a loop using Miles Notch, Red Rock, and Cold Brook. Cold Brook used to connect over to Hut Rd from Enid Melrose but now it appears to be a snowmo trail. Can take that or a short road walk to close the loop. Water was available at the Speckled summit 3 weeks ago when I did Cold Brook out and back. It's a downhill carry to the 2400 foot ledges if you don't camp right on the Speckled summit. Red Rock has a ledge that also makes for a nice albeit dry campsite. I don't think I've seen 20 total people in the sum of all my visits into this area. Precisely zero people outside the Speckled summit or Blueberry Ridge trail. If you're lucky, the folks down on Kezar will give you some fireworks shows.
    Excellent. Glad you mentioned the spring on Speckled. Was going to ask a follow up question on that. I'll carry plenty on the way up but I'll lighten the load if I have a refill option. I'll overload on the food and eat well.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    I don't mean to direct this at you, individually. But, collectively, aren't we as much of the problem as anything else? We demand solitude, yet likely spend more time in the mountains than anyone else on average so, logically, we are more responsible for any traffic.

I would like to think we balance that by being good stewards. Hopefully.
    That you for having the courage to write this!

When we do something, it's fine. When they do something, it's awful. It is a helpful reminder to remember that in another person's eyes, the "we" and the "they" are reversed.