ONCOMAN completes Northeast 770 Peak List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My prediction after the last list completion (a couple weeks ago??) was he'd be spending a good bit of time in NY, silly me! Again, congrats Pierre. That (at least to me) is the most coveted, and extremely well earned patch in the Northeast. A list of legends to be sure.

Jim (or Sue :) ) , did Sue finish on the VT or NH Monadnock? Strikes me as really neat that two people would both finish the NE3k and NEng3k on the same peak. :eek:

Also, Dennis, would you mind sharing the finishers list?

Voici la liste des finalistes: (4 out of 11 from Québec)

# 1: Dennis Crispo sur Davis,PA 8/2/97

# 2: John H Swanson sur Davis,PA 8/2/97

# 3: Sue Eilers sur Monadnock,NH 11/4/00

# 4: Erik Schlimmer sur Tumbledown,ME 7/30/04

# 5: Alain Chevrette (Famille Pinpin) - Québec, a terminé sur Mont Blue,ME le 9/18/11.

# 6: Alan Bernier - Providence, Rhode Island, a terminé sur Mc Naughton ADK le 25/2/2013.

# 7: Serge Massad - Québec, a terminé sur Catamount dans les ADK le 24 août 2013.

# 8: Damon Ritter - Brentwood, NH , a terminé sur Marcy dans les ADK le 15 octobre 2013.

# 9: Barry Matulautis -Maine, a terminé sur Kearsage North NH le 7 octobre 2017.

# 10: Gérald Léveillé - Sainte-Annes des Plaines, Québec , a terminé sur Tumble Down Mountain, Maine, le 28 juillet 2018.

# 11: Pierre Lefebvre, alias "Oncoman" - Longueuil, Québec , a terminé sur Monadnock, VT, le 12 août 2019.

Last edited:
Merci! The list is getting really popular, three finishers in three years! ;)

On my way there... just got back from a week in Maine and I'm currently at 705.
I was at Pinpin's finish and I remember being at 265 back then.

The North East 3,000 footers in fact have only 740 qualifying peaks according to recent 7,5 minute maps.

However for historical reasons and/or tradition I suspect people will want to continue climbing the 770 peaks. However those that don't climb the 2 qualifying peaks omitted by Swanson in his list (SW Brown Pond-3160 and E Snowy-3179) in my mind have not really completed the North East 3K's. Obviously that only applies to peakbaggers after the arrival of the 7,5 min. maps.

Finally as Jean-Sébastien Roux pointed out the North East 3K list will once again evolve in the near future when satellite data becomes readily available (LIDAR, with 30 cm precision for peak elevations and cols). WOW!

And what about the advent of exoskeletons to assist humans in climbing peaks. After all folks have not turned their backs on technology, having widely adopted GPS assisted navigation. Time only will tell, but I will then be long gone my friends.

Last edited:
Oncoman, I recall reading (ADK High Peaks forum) that you have completed all the NY 3000s .... in winter? Also, on a revisit of 11th Mtn with Sonny, we found burnt ashes on the summit from someone who apparently started a fire in the snow, perhaps to warm up. There was no burned spot on the ground so we figured it was from a winter visit.

you have completed all the NY 3000s .... in winter?. No, only the 222 ADK 3K's in winter. Actually was also my second round of ADK 3K's.

was from a winter visit. No, was not me.

Not only has Oncomon completed the 770, but he’s done many other major lists as well - Vermont 2k’s, etc....
Such an accomplished bushwhacker. Way to go! Nice work Oncomon, so awesome!!

Jean and I are almost done....I'm at 745. I plan to finish in 2020.

You may be the first to do these in winter. No Alain Chevrette (pinpin) was the first to complete ADK 3K's (222) in winter. He completed 16 March 2009 on unnamed peak, SW of Brown Pond, Indian Lake. I was the second to complete on 20 March 2014 on Catamount. However I am the only one to have done 2 rounds of ADK 3 K's.

BTW pinpin is trying to do NY500 winter. Only a few pks left to do north of West Canada wilderness, a very remote area requiring at least 3 to 4 winter bivouacs per trip. If interested in helping him out, contact him. He will jump of joy!

Last edited: