Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SAR in Franconia Notch?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Given Alex's confirmation that the hut snack trade is a non taxable gratuity direct to the crew...
    Let's be clear here. I stated that revenues from the leftovers come in as gratuities to the croo. I did not state that the gratuities are non-taxable -- the same tax rules apply to croo as apply to workers in any service business, non-profit or otherwise. Alex

Okay, theoretically the crew should declare their gratuity income per IRS and state regs. They are paid a weekly rate to work. I would speculate that little or none of the cash received for tips and shacks ever get declared. Few service workers do as cash is rarely traced.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Okay, theoretically the crew should declare their gratuity income per IRS and state regs. They are paid a weekly rate to work. I would speculate that little or none of the cash received for tips and shacks ever get declared. Few service workers do as cash is rarely traced.
    And let's be realistic - these people make so little that it would probably be taxed at 0% anyway.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

. . . and the insignificance of the monies involved with these sales makes it that much more difficult to discern a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    . . . and the insignificance of the monies involved with these sales makes it that much more difficult to discern a downside.
    If they are making enough for it to be declared the downside is they are breaking the law. This is why some have disdain towards the AMC because they promote an air much of the time of arrogancy. Just my perceptions and opinions.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    So if I understand this correctly we shouldn't have volunteers handing out headlamps at the trailhead because the AMC's lowest-ranking employees might not declare their menial tips on their taxes.? just want to make sure anyone who hasn't read the entire thread can get caught up quickly.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    I stated that revenues from the leftovers come in as gratuities to the croo.
    As of this weekend, croo stated baked goods revenue and tips are managed separately. I didn't inquire as to the ultimate destination of each, but all should take care to direct their monies into the proper stream.