Traveler Loop In The Rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
So I'm heading to Baxter this week from North gate and one of my main goals while staying there was to hike the Traveler's Loop. It's looking like the weather is not going to be too great though the days I'll be there so I'm curious about whether there would be a reason I'd want to avoid it in the rain. I know it is a strenuous loop, with lots of exposure but is the terrain sufficiently challenging when wet, i.e. smooth steep slabs, steep scrambles, etc? If anyone can provide a White Mountain "comp" trail to assist with assessing the route or has any general thoughts on the matter it will be appreciated. I've done many of the sketchier routes in NH in poor weather but I've never been in this area before. The Maine AMC Guide is quite brief with its descriptions.

As a secondary question, how is the loop of South Branch and Black Cat Mountain? Is that a worthy "plan B" alternate hike if Traveler is a bad idea? It seems similar to South Turner from Roaring Brook in terms of mileage/vertical, which is a hike I really enjoyed. Going to do the Howe Brook Trail with the wife one of the days so I wanted to do a "real" hike the other full day we'll be there.

As far as comps go, I would suggest that the southern presidentials is the most easily comparable area that comes to mind. I did the loop on a humid summer day and I do not remember the rocks as being slippery. There is basically no exposure to falling. It is certainly exposed to the weather with almost zero chance of bailouts. In Baxter, the rangers will certainly offer their opinion if they are not comfortable with your plans for the day.

I do not have any other experience in the northern part of the park to suggest alternative hikes

Doing the loop counterclockwise- typically the recommended way- coming down No Traveler encounters some open granite slabs, never did the red rock in rain,not "smooth" more of a corrugated surface. might depend on how comfortable you are on wet rock. Definitely exposed for much of the last mile or two. The So Branch-Black cat is definitely doable in the rain- no open slabs. The descent down Black Cat is a lot of small rock, almost like a slide. Route is mostly in the woods with open peaks.

IMHO, buy a book and spend a day hanging out at camp. Unless you just need to check off a box on list, doing the Traveler Loop in crappy weather is a waste of time as the major draw is the extensive above tree line views. The trickiest part is probably the first climb up off the lake shore. Probably easier to go up then down. If you just have to go out there are plenty of shorter hikes nearby.

IMHO, buy a book and spend a day hanging out at camp. Unless you just need to check off a box on list, doing the Traveler Loop in crappy weather is a waste of time as the major draw is the extensive above tree line views. The trickiest part is probably the first climb up off the lake shore. Probably easier to go up then down. If you just have to go out there are plenty of shorter hikes nearby.

I was thinking the same about the first climb up from the lake. It's rough rock but narrow in spots. Not particularly bad but a spot to take care for sure.

There is basically no exposure to falling. It is certainly exposed to the weather with almost zero chance of bailouts.

That is basically what I wanted to know. I obviously want to see the views from the loop but I enjoy that type of terrain in just about any conditions and have the gear/experience to manage the weather side of it.

IMHO, buy a book and spend a day hanging out at camp.

I could never do that, especially at Baxter. We only have 2 full days there as well so throwing one on the scrap heap won't be an option unless the weather is biblically bad. I'll get out there and enjoy it as best as the weather allows. Can catch up on my reading this Winter when it's cold and dark. :)

I just did the loop counter clockwise about 10 days ago. I personally wouldn't not want to descend from either direction if wet. I personally felt there was one no fall zone descending North Travel. But descending from Traveler going clockwise would be worse in my opinion.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ECBXfdBPL6M9YLH89

This is one of the spots descending North Traveler I feel is a no fall zone. One this whole section is like pea stone (marbles) tough enough to descend on. Add wet, and that's a white knuckler for me.

wT2PlU9ldW3JHbNxFO-Ko3gmV9w6vJvdCL4xp-5CfFi7y-Sxmupyc7AZizUk1ofzEFOcKiHgVgLTZ8p96-YSf7PakNycEBwHPibyE9BnN8oGJbwFRWwTT2dMoZbYZUj8MpRnDzTFOrDAhoGzPf3hDE5gKRIhCwDJhdmJ5xx_E9JVhtcw_CaHVSPfDQzTL64WevM8lm5FGnv9nb7cazDdsd2j3MAcTfoL4sSb-2XJ6u3I-bvdUAMPSi7HZDdHyHCiUW_fI5bPXA210QzaGvbq7J7Q4xevKCRr7ykvGBUUUpyQ8_CEdiKiAhpO5VsxrtK3F8_LepW9Xe6B6EGSRyBubHSbYURcUOVuiN4aJhTuJCrZ6MsbYT7fxbIUZH5eI64ug2XcQiOF7Ho-8_QQw9D1eXK0y5v2dL3qUE7QHtTtrlrmUIxl5LqC1jf98BIWhKszLbIAKLY1xdgN-FmvPh3M4vQHpnBRghdr692JHlZ1yV3KdJ0o_UIbUBzEBZw8wjIFTomCnisjW5svVlw0pHgItX8lp2dA1CGSRZSkAh-7EV3dgzkj5tEC7LtAlShRDxAn0Ft8wIw91SaOt0Uy-W6bYZwK673FDtuN70Xp-uV-hs_aTxlzIDb-AA0f86xC_1e6yFqKqzxYgzLoSL97CYV0w-odyEqTXh7BLsQ7x5MaKJlo6Evcpn3hGDWHaTceumfKzRx8UZg1fWcF6XNWXadJ4sguiwkN4LA9MM6Gbs3AUOotcvct=w578-h803-no

Last edited:
Oh, and as far as comparing it. I'd say The Baldface Loop, on steroids, with northern Presi type terrain.

Oh, and as far as comparing it. I'd say The Baldface Loop, on steroids, with northern Presi type terrain.

Great photo album! I pretty much can't wait to do this now. I hadn't seen many photos. Only people telling me it's awesome, which it clearly is. Hopefully I luck out with a break in the forecast. Thanks.

JustJoe how long did the loop take you to hike? AMC Maine Guide says 7 1/2 hours but I've seen write ups saying to allow for 10-12 hours, which seems crazy for the mileage/vertical. That's why I was wondering if there were scrambles or other problems that would make it take longer.

JustJoe how long did the loop take you to hike? AMC Maine Guide says 7 1/2 hours but I've seen write ups saying to allow for 10-12 hours, which seems crazy for the mileage/vertical. That's why I was wondering if there were scrambles or other problems that would make it take longer.

8.75 hours. But I take at ton of photos and spent a lot of time picking blueberries. Sat on Traveler for quite a while too. The ranger told me to allow for at least 10. But 7.5 sunnds about right for an average experienced hiker.

8.75 hours. But I take at ton of photos and spent a lot of time picking blueberries. Sat on Traveler for quite a while too. The ranger told me to allow for at least 10. But 7.5 sunnds about right for an average experienced hiker.

I do the same - lots of pictures/video. I was planning on allowing for 9 hours. Thanks!

So, to summarize, you asked, two people told you not to do this loop if it rains, and you replied something to the extend of, "If I drive up there, I'm going to do it, because I can't drive all that way up there and not hike."

Hmm. Does that really sound wise?

It's an amazingly beautiful loop on a nice day, but as was already stated, you can't bail off of it, and it is very exposed. As with others, I would tell you that if it's raining, this is not a hike to do. As the saying goes, it will always be there.

That's amazing photo of the canoe. Beautiful wake and with ghost trees reflected in the water. Nice work JustJoe!!

So, to summarize, you asked, two people told you not to do this loop if it rains, and you replied something to the extend of, "If I drive up there, I'm going to do it, because I can't drive all that way up there and not hike."

Hmm. Does that really sound wise?

It's an amazingly beautiful loop on a nice day, but as was already stated, you can't bail off of it, and it is very exposed. As with others, I would tell you that if it's raining, this is not a hike to do. As the saying goes, it will always be there.

No, that is NOT what I said and the one person who said not to do it was for the reason I'd be missing the views, not because of the danger factor. I said I am not going to sit in camp and read a book just because it rains. There are several other hikes in the area, which you may have noticed I also asked about. I did not say I would do the Traveler Loop no matter what. Based on what people have said and the photos JustJoe posted I feel comfortable with the hike but I won't be doing it "just because". I'll make the final call based on the actual weather, how I feel, etc. I appreciate you looking out for a "red flag" here but you have misunderstood my comments.

Last edited:
Great photo album! I pretty much can't wait to do this now. I hadn't seen many photos. Only people telling me it's awesome, which it clearly is. Hopefully I luck out with a break in the forecast. Thanks.

I think it may be my favorite hike to date. It's amazing how the terrain changes over the course of the hike. It was supposed to be mostly sunny the day I did it, but after seeing how much of this hike is exposed, I was glad I had mostly cloudy. Probably would have gotten a good burn since I forgot to pack sunblock. Good luck with the weather.

I would not do this hike on a rainy day, worse yet in mid-September.

Take a look at a map. It is considerably further north than anything in the White Mountains and the weather tends to be worse even than those mountains. At elevation, rain elsewhere can mean freezing rain or worse. I'm sure most of us can cope with that but why go into such a hike expecting it? And I recall, even on a bluebird day, some steeeep sections no matter which way you go ... but I'd 2nd the typical counterclockwise route most people take. Also, there is no reliable water on this loop. Older maps may show a spring near North Traveler but it is no longer marked or encouraged as a source.

The exposure and views are the terrific amenity of this classic hike. Why take a measureably increased risk for such a significantly decreased experience?

For an alternative, consider the South Branch - Black Cat Mtn loop. We did that counterclockwise, too. Less noted for its views, though there are some, and little exposure that I recall, this is a reasonable day hike for someone in your condition no matter the weather ... but, still prepare for the worse. Its been a few years since we did this but staying on trail during the descent on the south side of Black Cat was a challenge. Don't know if its any worse or better now.

Some of our favorite experiences were the "plan B" and subsequent returns for ideal conditions for "plan A". And, canoes are available, also at Trout Farm where exploring for moose might be good this time of year. And, for a silly adreniline boost, venture out in Grand Lake Matagamon!

Its ultimately your call, I am willing to wait for the weather to do a trail like this. It took me three tries to get the North Peaks trail and was glad I did as I have had hypothermia before from a long exposed hike in the rain.

Some history, this loop was a bushwhack for many years but the description was in the Maine Mountain Guide. I believe the caveat was that even skilled parties may take up to or over 12 hours. I talked to the long term ranger at Chimney Pond one year a few years after the loop trail was open and he claimed to have laid out the route for the official trail as "he was sick of having to go out late at night looking for lost hikers". There was some pushback from the park to make the route official as it might encourage less capable parties to attempt it. He had an informal route laid out and eventually they let him make it official. He did comment that parties in the past looked to the Howe Brook trail as a possible bail out point. He suggested that it was not a good idea as the drop into the Howe Basin was steep and thick and could lead to even more issues. He also commented that many folks think the Traveler is half way, effort wise its not as the first part of the hike is via a flat hike along the pond and then a steady hike up Center Ridge with a long gradual col to Traveler. The hike past Traveler to North Traveler is a bit slower going and the second half of the descent down North Ridge is quite slow as there are ever increasing sections of steep loose rock that make footing tedious at the end of a long day. Therefore if you are at Traveler at noon at this time of year you may be using a headlamp.

The ridge does have a good view of Patten Maine off in the distance and a few antennas that look like cell towers so there may be cell coverage (carrier dependent). There is none at South Branch Pond.

I expect the blueberries are still out and they are best just before the final ascent up Traveler. Its real easy to spend extra time picking berries.

Last edited:
I would not do this hike on a rainy day, worse yet in mid-September.

Take a look at a map. It is considerably further north than anything in the White Mountains and the weather tends to be worse even than those mountains. At elevation, rain elsewhere can mean freezing rain or worse. I'm sure most of us can cope with that but why go into such a hike expecting it? And I recall, even on a bluebird day, some steeeep sections no matter which way you go ... but I'd 2nd the typical counterclockwise route most people take. Also, there is no reliable water on this loop. Older maps may show a spring near North Traveler but it is no longer marked or encouraged as a source.

The exposure and views are the terrific amenity of this classic hike. Why take a measureably increased risk for such a significantly decreased experience?

For an alternative, consider the South Branch - Black Cat Mtn loop. We did that counterclockwise, too. Less noted for its views, though there are some, and little exposure that I recall, this is a reasonable day hike for someone in your condition no matter the weather ... but, still prepare for the worse. Its been a few years since we did this but staying on trail during the descent on the south side of Black Cat was a challenge. Don't know if its any worse or better now.

Some of our favorite experiences were the "plan B" and subsequent returns for ideal conditions for "plan A". And, canoes are available, also at Trout Farm where exploring for moose might be good this time of year. And, for a silly adreniline boost, venture out in Grand Lake Matagamon!

The summit weather for the Traveler is currently projected to be mid-50's and partly sunny after a slight chance of light AM showers and 10-15 mph winds for my target day. I've done Washington in wind driven rain in mid-October, the Franconia Ridge in freezing rain in early March, trails like Chemin des Dames in pouring rain, etc. Comparatively speaking the weather is not going to be that bad at all and I certainly have the gear for it. Security of footing and the consequences of a fall were my big concern, not exposure to the elements. The weather is not going to be that bad. Just wet.