Traveler Loop In The Rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The summit weather for the Traveler is currently projected to be mid-50's and partly sunny after a slight chance of light AM showers and 10-15 mph winds for my target day. I've done Washington in wind driven rain in mid-October, the Franconia Ridge in freezing rain in early March, trails like Chemin des Dames in pouring rain, etc. Comparatively speaking the weather is not going to be that bad at all and I certainly have the gear for it. Security of footing and the consequences of a fall were my big concern, not exposure to the elements. The weather is not going to be that bad. Just wet.

Well now that you broadcasted your plans, you better survive. Or they will pick your death apart for weeks, lol.:D

The hike past Traveler to North Traveler is a bit slower going and the second half of the descent down North Ridge is quite slow as there are ever increasing sections of steep loose rock that make footing tedious at the end of a long day. Therefore if you are at Traveler at noon at this time of year you may be using a headlamp.

Can you give me a "comp" for this area - Owl Slide? South Tripyramid Slide? Other than the small section in JustJoe's photos it didn't look like there was any significant talus or scree fields descending. I can deal with tedious provided there isn't any significant fall potential besides falling on your ass, dusting yourself off and getting back up. I'd descend South Slide in the rain without hesitation, although I get the kind of tedious that would be. Type 2 fun for sure.

Well now that you broadcasted your plans, you better survive. Or they will pick your death apart for weeks, lol.:D

It's funny you say that because that is all I've been thinking about posting here today. I'll fall and break my leg, get carried out by SAR and have to switch to basket weaving as a hobby to avoid the humiliation of explaining myself. At least everyone here won't have to speculate on all the details. I'll be able to log in and fully document my stupidity. :)

I'm really a pretty conservative hiker and am confident if I set out to attempt this loop I'll know pretty early on whether it is wise or not and will act accordingly. Everyone's caution seemed to initially be about the elements which based on the forecast don't worry me much. My original concern was fall potential and now that more and more people are chiming in with info on that aspect of the hike it certainly alters my perspective. No doubt I'll have a conversation with the ranger and get his take and see how the weather breaks that morning and decide what make sense.

Can you give me a "comp" for this area - Owl Slide? South Tripyramid Slide? Other than the small section in JustJoe's photos it didn't look like there was any significant talus or scree fields descending. I can deal with tedious provided there isn't any significant fall potential besides falling on your ass, dusting yourself off and getting back up. I'd descend South Slide in the rain without hesitation, although I get the kind of tedious that would be. Type 2 fun for sure.
You didn't see many pics of the loose stuff descending from N. Traveler because by then I was really wasting a lot of time. But from the getgo descending North Travel it's loose shale, and lots of it. Then it gets smaller, like marbles as I mentioned. Definitely sketchy footing at times.

You didn't see many pics of the loose stuff descending from N. Traveler because by then I was really wasting a lot of time. But from the getgo descending North Travel it's loose shale, and lots of it. Then it gets smaller, like marbles as I mentioned. Definitely sketchy footing at times.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I have been around this loop twice in the past year. Like most people I think it is the best hike in the NE. The trail is almost completely on rocky surfaces save for the initial climbs and final descents. We hiked once in sketchy conditions and were caught in a drenching thunder storm just below the North Traveler peak. However we found a copse of trees and were able to take shelter under a hemlock and stayed relatively dry and safe. Despite the rain we had no real issues with footing. I think rain is more critical when you are on the southern end of the loop. The climb up from Pogy Notch is pretty much a slide route so if I had to do this loop in the rain I would go South to North to get the worst slick rocks out of the way. If you go for it, be sure to bring extra lights and clothing. It could take you longer than the hours of daylight to complete this loop in the rain and you may well need extra layers. By the way there are at least 4 fun day hikes very close to this ultimate hike that are just fine to do in the rain. Or if it is raining go waterfall hunting. There is a time and place for everything.

I just got back tonight and fortunately the weather improved quite a bit. What an AMAZING area! WED changed from almost all rain to a partly sunny start so we got some light hiking in and a canoe trip before some afternoon rain forced us to retreat under the tarp for some cards and beverages. But it cleared out for a late walk on the beach and a fire. THU started cloudy and foggy and rather cold. The early stretches of trail to Center Ridge were raw, damp and windy but I still enjoyed the hell out of it with all the outcrops of rock, red berries bushes and grasses, etc. Bright spots kept flying by overhead though and the partly sunny forecast seemed to be taking shape. I as descended down the Little Knife Edge gaps in the clouds started revealing brief peaks at the summits and by the time I left the woods in the col toward the Traveler the skies opened up. W-O-W. The rest of trip was a nice clouds and sun sky which added all kinds of shadows to the trees and made for great views. This quite literally might be the perfect hike as far as the Northeast goes. Incredible variety of terrain, trees, forest, types of rock, views,etc. Even the cols where you went in the trees all had different trees and bushes and were unique and very attractive. It was literally like taking every favorite element of all my hikes in the Whites and cramming them into one 11 mile loop. I could go on and on but most of you already know.

Regarding my specific question about the "danger factor" in the rain, I really didn't find anything to be particularly crazy and would have done in the rain if I had to, albeit slower and more cautiously then I did. I though the slickest and trickiest places were actually the drops into the trees for the cols. There were a lot of muddy and angled areas that would be awkward in any weather. The ledges shortly after leaving Pogy Notch Trail were probably the slipperiest and I agree with everyone and the guide that starting this way and climbing this area is best. I found the gravelly area JustJoe mentioned to be fine. That first section is indeed close to the edge but there was plenty of solid rock sticking out of the gravel for solid footing. It is definitely a tedious area descending though so late in the day. Thanks to everyone who commented on the terrain. It was very helpful. And if you have never been on this hike before - PUT IT ON YOUR TO DO LIST ASAP!

Glad you had fun. I guess you missed the blueberries so have to go back ;). I think the CCW concept has a lot to said for it. Since most folks are heading in the same direction the trail feels less crowded. It is dry hike, not a lot of options to fill up. Definitely a great variety of terrain. Definitely those who have stuck to the hikes in the southern end of the park have missed out.