Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt Langdon Shelter Removal

Mt Langdon Shelter Removal

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...ab180cb0c.html

The national forest is slowly running out of structures to maintain in the forest which I believe is the ultimate plan.

Cripes. This is the first I've heard of it. I'll see what I can mobilize.

From the same newspaper. Very interesting and informative piece on the dangers climbing & hiking during https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...47e0a489e.html

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

The national forest is slowly running out of structures to maintain in the forest which I believe is the ultimate plan.
    For what it's worth the Forest Service did do a great job fixing up the shelter of Mountain Pond.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    For what it's worth the Forest Service did do a great job fixing up the shelter of Mountain Pond.
    I hiked over to mountain pond, thinking to stay in the shelter, but a young couple had their huge cabin tent set up in it. We found another spot to set up our tarp.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

Yes, I believe that you are correct. That appears to be the plan, and it has been going on for decades. A few of the shelters that I stayed at in the late 60s that are no longer around: Liberty Spring, Camp 16, 13 Falls, Greeley Pond, Nauman #1,2, Great Gulf Shelters #1,2,3, Isolation, Resolution, Desolation, Franconia Brook, Carrigain Tower, Camp Hermance, Camp Shehadi. And these are just the ones I remember staying at.

Quote Originally Posted by maineguy View Post
    Yes, I believe that you are correct. That appears to be the plan, and it has been going on for decades. A few of the shelters that I stayed at in the late 60s that are no longer around: Liberty Spring, Camp 16, 13 Falls, Greeley Pond, Nauman #1,2, Great Gulf Shelters #1,2,3, Isolation, Resolution, Desolation, Franconia Brook, Carrigain Tower, Camp Hermance, Camp Shehadi. And these are just the ones I remember staying at.
    Your post brought back some memories. Shelters I have used as well, Desolation, Camp Hermance, Camp Shehadi, Franconia Brook, I also remember the Edmonds Col shelter, although certainly not in the same category.

They were all great places to stay. My favorite was the Carrigain Tower. Back then you could drink the water from the well unfiltered. Of course, at that time, the parking lot for the Wilderness Trail off the Kanc only had spots for about 6 cars (it was on the other side of the river from the present parking).

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I hiked over to mountain pond, thinking to stay in the shelter, but a young couple had their huge cabin tent set up in it. We found another spot to set up our tarp.
    I have heard of people setting up tents in shelters. Seems pretty oblivious at best. It's a fairly accessible shelter, so it probably attracts more of a certain kind of person (lower wilderness etiquette). We found emoty beer cans when we were there.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I personally miss all the above mentioned long gone shelters. It certainly has changed the Whites. So glad one can still tramp The ADK where a lot remain and are maintained.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    I personally miss all the above mentioned long gone shelters. It certainly has changed the Whites. So glad one can still tramp The ADK where a lot remain and are maintained.
    Thanks God we still have most of our leantos.

This is thanks to the tiny volunteer organization Lean2Rescue, which does great work.

Our misguided fools in Albany were on a tear some years ago to destroy as many leantos as possible, much like the "Molly destroys bridges" era in NH. I think we're finally ahead of the curve.

It takes constant vigilance to stay ahead of the vandals in so called "land management" agencies...

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Thanks God we [ed. the Adirondacks] still have most of our leantos.

This is thanks to the tiny volunteer organization Lean2Rescue, which does great work.
    Last summer I stayed in Lean2Rescue's beautiful new leanto at Duck Pond. The logs are fit so tightly that there was no need for chinking. Their craftsmanship is impressive. Unfortunately it was infested with Carpenter Ants.

The ant infestation is unfortunate, but thanks for the info. I'll pass that on to the group for reference.

“We can’t afford to maintain all of these structures in the woods,” said Innes, who noted that when the shelters have to be repaired materials, are flown in by helicopter.

Thank God helicopters were invented so we could have shelters in the woods!

Many of the shelters had the unfortunate problem that they tended to attract crowds. I remember one october weekend when there were over 50 tents in the woods around Desolation shelter. Folks looked on a map, saw a shelter and used it for destination. In the great gulf there are still significant signs where the shelters where 30 years ago. The ground got so compacted that nothing will grow back in. The concentrated use also tends to concentrate human waste. My guess is unless there is a caretaker the temptation is rip it down.