Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: REI North Conway Grand Opening coming Soon!

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    217
    I'm with Peakbagger. 20 years ago REI was a great place to shop. Reasonable prices, decent store brand clothes and of course good selection of name brand. But then went on to target the suburban crowd and I feel that they are all about selling the highest margin, highest cost merchandise they can get away with. I prefer the smaller, local shops (e.g., Stan and Dan, Ragged, IME). Granted, everything is expensive these days, but I like the overall vibe of the small owner places better. But I suppose the fact that REI thinks they can sustain a shop in N. Conway means the economy is doing well. I do worry about the effect on the smaller shops. I suspect REI will pull in a lot of the transient vacationers, particularly at the height of the summer and winter vacation schedules, so expect a lot of MA plates on higher end vehicles that will bounce from REI to Starbucks

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    5,865
    Lots of money getting poured into North Conway these days. Cranmore just announced a new hotel, there is another one announced for Settlers Green area and at least one other. There are also a lot of investors buying private homes for Air B&B purposes. Plenty of well paid professionals in southern NH and Mass willing to come up and spend money.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Lots of money getting poured into North Conway these days. Cranmore just announced a new hotel, there is another one announced for Settlers Green area and at least one other. There are also a lot of investors buying private homes for Air B&B purposes. Plenty of well paid professionals in southern NH and Mass willing to come up and spend money.
    Yup, plus Market Basket too over near the Home Depot. There is also a debate raging, particularly in the Kearsage area, regarding whether an old zoning bylaw should be enforced in that area (but the debate has spread more generally). The bylaw prohibits renting a home unless it is owner-occupied. So the people who regularly rent, including through Airbnb, are fighting against locals who are seeking to enforce the bylaw. The locals argue that the law is the law and that the non-resident renters are destroying the local character, while the non-res renters argue that the bylaw was not being enforced, that they purchased their property with that understanding, and that property values will decline if the bylaw is enforced. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

  4. #19
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,427
    Meanwhile back to the OP. One of the positive things I have heard about REI is their Customer Service being very good. More specifically their product knowledge gained through proficient training. While hiking in Washington State last month I was fortunate to have had a rather lengthy discussion with a local whom worked in REI's anchor store in Seattle. When I mentioned to him that the perception was that their employee training and knowledge was positive his face lit up. He was glad to hear it because ironically he was involved in training. Another benefit IMO will be the Coop aspect of REI.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Meanwhile back to the OP. One of the positive things I have heard about REI is their Customer Service being very good. More specifically their product knowledge gained through proficient training. While hiking in Washington State last month I was fortunate to have had a rather lengthy discussion with a local whom worked in REI's anchor store in Seattle. When I mentioned to him that the perception was that their employee training and knowledge was positive his face lit up. He was glad to hear it because ironically he was involved in training. Another benefit IMO will be the Coop aspect of REI.
    Yes, I do hear that anecdotally as well. At least better than most big box retailers.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Jazzbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Posts
    1,121
    Statistics don't lie. Market is growing. Number of 4K list finishers has doubled over what it was 10 years ago from average of 300/year to over 600/year. In 2017 there were 739 list finishers. Other indicators are number of post holes gets worse and worse every year. Hopefully some of these knuckleheads will buy some snowshoes. Parking at major trail heads is further indicator.
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 09-21-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

    "Commuteróone who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    Hopefully some of these knuckleheads will buy some snowshoes.
    Not bloody likely. Those "mountain conquerors" see post holes as a badge of honor.
    Last edited by JoshandBaron; 09-23-2019 at 09:26 AM.

  8. #23
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,427
    Hopefully along with their positive attitude, knowledge base and training REI will help improve folks trail etiquette among other outdoor skill sets. The last three decades or so the Mount Washington Valley has seen and supported multiple outdoor retailers successfully. Even with the event of online shopping. Personally I enjoy having multiple options and choices when it comes to gear. I look forward to REI enhancing that mix. Personally I am going to give them a chance to do just that rather than use it as an opportunity to be negative. Looking forward to the Grand Opening happening this coming weekend.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    217
    Some of us have been living with REI for 30 years. So we know their gig. As noted, it's to make money selling high margin gear. Nothing wrong with that model of course, but as noted, I'll stick to the local shops or online if the local shops do not have/stock what I need.

  10. #25
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    As noted, it's to make money selling high margin gear.
    Really Expensive Inventory

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  11. #26
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Really Expensive Inventory

    Tim
    Seems like the same problem when they just canít seem to get the store you always wanted built down the street from your house.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  12. #27
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,589
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Seems like the same problem when they just can’t seem to get the store you always wanted built down the street from your house.
    Still waiting...

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  13. #28
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Some of us have been living with REI for 30 years. So we know their gig. As noted, it's to make money selling high margin gear. Nothing wrong with that model of course, but as noted, I'll stick to the local shops or online if the local shops do not have/stock what I need.
    I'm with you and I have a ton of gear then some bought over the years. Just a couple of things from REI. Their return policy online is not good and orgainized well so I don't buy anything from them online. What ticked me off is their ban of Camelbak. Those workers etc are innocent and shouldn't be punished. Although it's hurting REI more then Camelbak probably. Other chains have picked up the slack on a great product.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 09-28-2019 at 06:20 AM.

  14. #29
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    I...What ticked me off is their ban of Camelbak. Those workers etc are innocent and shouldn't be punished. Although it's hurting REI more then Camelbak probably. Other chains have picked up the slack on a great product.
    Humm, didn't know they stopped selling Camelback. Why?

    I stopped using Camelback and went to a Platypus 3L sack cause I got tied of the plastic taste of Camelback products.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 09-29-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  15. #30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •