Foliage 2019

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Haven't seen any official threads on foliage yet but someone in another thread mentioned color was coming along ahead of schedule in Northern Presidentials and Adirondack Loj Facebook page showed some pretty significant color already so I'm curious if anyone has spotted significant color yet in their travels. Looks like the foliage may start earlier this year. Checked a few of the foliage websites and got conflicting info. Always find word of mouth to be a better source than those sites (but if someone follows a site they find to be particularly accurate please post link). Was very little going on in Baxter last week. Like many of you I'll be chasing colors the next few weeks and planning my hikes accordingly.

I was out all last week in the Dry River and Wild River and there wasn't much color to speak of. A few trees here and there but still mostly green.

I think a couple more weeks. I'm headed up to Acadia for 5 days in the middle of October. I'm expecting foliage will be just past peak at that point, but tourist season is well past peak. The Park is pretty empty that weekend.

Still mostly green in Gorham with a few early trees. There is hard frost predicted tonight so that usually gets the color moving

OK. Thanks. One of the sites I was on indicated things were way farther along than what I had seen and when I saw that person's comments about the Northern Presi's coming along I was a bit surprised. Haven't been to NH in a few weeks.

I think a couple more weeks. I'm headed up to Acadia for 5 days in the middle of October. I'm expecting foliage will be just past peak at that point, but tourist season is well past peak. The Park is pretty empty that weekend.

Yes, unlike the foliage, I am always happy when the tourist season has ended. :)

10/22/17 Plenty of color left, and no crowds.:)

NfHZ-XagKTHtV0YpLKabVOwqEfBliV_H9SVsUF0aGLiLQ5egNu0TmmrLVMenP8vswcsFvalyUBfEIZEJInyGa2arP0Od0Wp39AEj78Y9Clh6xA2sdJqiScOl4h4An42mxT8mXSPrLOMgll24oUYfQZOlFwbvE6ELBbKJU83VYE1rXr9MIxnBckLdA8P9qn7MwOoy7SsORVgeoHB_9CcWzPiez_HcPMNGK8peu-wCJIlrFw3pQ2vd5QZbr8LbZgKInxskKfGyuY85wuR7YQjOudzDmaycCJ7YtRfU7SZcfFSHtk1psLhcF7VaMvImR_KrJG9EG3mWh6JBT1w_PJe4nXdYFWk573MT7K7H-PfAFgAfnwA3BxA2Q0TvZMjhn2v6mzWOgRHBm36XLeDprKFnAJpPJuSTydhOgcyDXz0jbPwRxz1j514S2pSQqE8JMVP9APp3FSy9gWU7e_qiSFu1MJ4TEM4YiCIn0E_H6bkjWtSAMe4Jp2NrqUsXcWVo5EWsYMG9t6KeEnH-2YLeMmP6zyiCOOSB4Hwm0L_yrYmk6rVL19sLDYaMfaQgf583vrSm5fHsHZr3_tm4fotrcxTv0JKhi0Eby615o3-hwz1vhjEVwSnnq2blzMpjh8uUYtqThKmg4XZ8iOaMdeKJs91VPXHpnYc5jLrR83Inlpt56F5ZBkFGk9xIy4k=w1205-h503-no

Other then the reports issued by various sources. You can get an idea on the foliage according to the frost. Without a killing frost or multiple for that matter, the leaves will be slow turning. Once you see below freezing nighttime temps, its off to the races.

There was a big shift in leaf color over the weekend. I expect this upcoming weekend will be pretty colorful in the north country. Lots of no vacancy signs out at local hotels and campground last weekend.

I was out in the Eastern side of the Caribou Speckled Mountain Wilderness this weekend and I'd say it was maybe 10%-15%. Driving up the Maine Turnpike and Rte 26 it seemed like more, especially around water. Long range forecast is for another great weekend coming up so hopefully the color kicks into high gear during the week.

I was on Rt. 110 in Stark yesterday and the colors were amazing. I would have stopped to take a pic or two but I'd just passed a wood-chip filled semi that was crawling. Could risk being stuck behind him again. :D

West Milan is pretty close to peak this morning. Looking out at the Kilkenny ridge. Pictures never do it justice. Friday Office Window.jpg

Did a Grafton loop this past weekend and things were peak north of the notch and just starting to peak south of the notch. The contrast in colors to the north and south was stunning.

Was in the ADK on Saturday 10/5 on Phelps. Supposedly peak color, I'd say some was past, The High Peaks have the same issue as the NH highest also. The highest peaks are surrounded by Fir/spruce and then birch. Birch are great, however, every birch changes the same color. Peaks that are 3,000 or less with open summits provide your best chances of seeing a diverse deciduous forest changing color. The HPIC lot was filled by 6:30 AM and when we left a car was 2.4 miles away from the HPIC on Loj road adding almost five miles to any hike they had planned. We shared the small Phelps summit with 36 hikers on the main ledges with more on smaller private spots.
20191005_091314.jpg 20191005_114618.jpg

Lower on Moxham Mt, looking across Moxham Pond

20191006_093451.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the leaves will be on the ground by Friday. There is Northeaster in forecast for Thursday with accompanying high winds that will probably strip leaves. Welcome to fall views!

Past peak in Woodstock VT although you'd never know it by the number of buses!

The forecast is for 1.5-2.5" of rain Wednesday and Thursday and 15-40 mph winds, so we can pretty much put a fork in it for this year.

Bring on the snow!

Was out in the Taconics Sunday AM and foliage is still not at peak despite various online maps saying it is. I'd say it's maybe 50% or so. Quite a bit of nice color on the Mass Pike heading out there though. Finally getting a chance to head up to NH this weekend so hopefully there are some splashes of color left for me.