Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoreau Falls stringer removal in progress

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I wonder why they opted to do this work during the driest time of the year? This would have been a great project for May.
    Exactly! Then they may have seen first hand over the coarse of time it took to possibly see how important the bridge is. Since in May, the gauge would have been pretty high I'd imagine. Ya, like it would have made a difference.
    Joe

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Exactly! Then they may have seen first hand over the coarse of time it took to possibly see how important the bridge is. Since in May, the gauge would have been pretty high I'd imagine. Ya, like it would have made a difference.
    Exactly. I feel like you get me, Joe.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    A couple more articles:
    https://herecast.us/886909
    https://dartmed.dartmouth.edu/winter...ne_crash.shtml

Regarding the cabin, the weren't looking for it, they had no idea it was there (they also followed the bed north at one point), which is all the more tragic to be so close. I can find no reference to a cabin in the 1952 or 1960 WMG's, and the FS maps of 1942 or 1963 show no structures in that area. Mike Dickerman's and the Dartmouth article states the cabin was 8/10ths of a mile from the crossing that stopped them. The Dartmouth article pins it down by saying a scalpel was found 1 mile from the crash site, and that was less than a mile from the cabin, so the cabin is 1.8-2 miles from the crash site, that lines up perfectly with (old) Camp 22 and they were stopped at the North Fork crossing near New Camp 22.

What the WMG maps do show, however, is structures at Camp 22 (and camp 23), so my suspicion is the North Fork Cabin was built on (or utilized from) the (old) Camp 22 site.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/gcquin...57614857803871

Here is one more link to round out the Story of Dr. Miller and Dr. Quinn.

The link is to a Flickr album by Mr. Geoff Quinn, one of Dr. Quinn's two children.

From the one of his photo caption

"And what of the cabin stocked with food, fuel and sleeping bags only 1.8 miles from the crash site? The two men had hiked through deep snow for a mile before writing ďthe trail petered outĒ and that they had turned back. When I was growing up, my grandfather would say, "if only they hadnít turned back!" The missed opportunity gnawed at him and despite the obvious challenges they faced of a blizzard, deep snow and huge drifts, it gnawed at me too. I hiked back to the spot years later. Among the many things I wanted to know was why hadnít they gone farther?"

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    The 1967 Mt. Osceola map shows a structure (not a shelter) just south of the North Fork Crossing. Is that what we're talking about?

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons..._24000_geo.jpg
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Thanks much Tom, great addition that I was unaware of.

I think it was Camp 16. If I remember right a couple high school buddies and I were doing a loop out by way of Desolation; over Carrigain; back thorough Carrigain Notch to Ethan Pond; and then trying to beat the weather out by going the long way around past Thoreau Falls. We didn't even come close to beating the storm back to the road, but it was a lot of fun... Type II fun! That area called the Desolation Wilderness was pretty wild back then, in more ways than one...
    Add life to your years!