Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black bear causing concerns in Pemi around Owl's Head

i never leave my pack anywhere, including the times I've been to OH. Maybe I just have a light pack (not true really). Problem with black bears is that although they are rarely predatory of humans, if they do decide to attack you are finished. They rarely walk away once they attack. So you will not be healing and heading back out again. There is plenty of reading on this if you are interested in bear attacks.

Time to start carrying bear spray into the Pemi. Let 'em get a whiff of capsaicin. It has proved a healthy deterrent in places like Yellowstone. Once they get a sniff of the stuff, the bears back off next time they see a can in hand (hopefully).

I carried bear spray when I did Owl's Head. Unfortunately, I stowed it in a pocket and it fell out on the bushwhack from Black Pond. I expect somebody got a free can from my misfortune.

I always carry bear spray in New England. But that's after living in Wyoming and reading way too many news reports of bear encounters, injuries and deaths. But even with bear spray, I stopped solo backpacking in the Wind River Range ten years ago. The grizzlies expanded their range south out of Yellowstone, were fruitful and multiplied.
    散步 Sanbu

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    I've never seen a bear while hiking, unfortunately, only while driving. They are low on my list of things that I think are likely to eat my food, after myself, other people, and mice.

I used to drop my pack when I was younger to go do short spurs, but I don't run as much as I used to so it's less of an issue to just keep carrying the pack.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

The bear at owlshead must be fairly recent. We took our packs up after dropping our tent and sleeping bag. We camped at the base of the slide, no issues with bears or mice. This was early August, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    The bear at owlshead must be fairly recent. We took our packs up after dropping our tent and sleeping bag. We camped at the base of the slide, no issues with bears or mice. This was early August, I think.
    This has been going on at least since last year.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Sanbu View Post
    I carried bear spray when I did Owl's Head. Unfortunately, I stowed it in a pocket and it fell out on the bushwhack from Black Pond. I expect somebody got a free can from my misfortune.
    This story reminds me of a geocache log entry I read some time ago for a cache placed on Bartlett Haystack - according to the log the geocacher's companion lost a more potent weapon that he was carrying for protection against bears! Here is a quote:

"T first visited Bartlett Haystack on September 30, 1975, when working on climbing all the 3000' foot peaks of New England. I bushwhacked over from Tremont with another hiker and his dog Chinook who had signed up for this adventure. I was an AMC hike leader at the time. In 1975 there was no summit register; however, I did place a small bottle register at the top which of course is no longer there after 38 years. We enjoyed the view from the high rocky ledge on the west side. An interesting note on this trip is the loss of the pistol this hiker had brought with him without my knowledge. He said he had brought it for protection against bears!! Needless to say we did not look for it. So somewhere between Tremont & Bartlett Haystack there lies the gun."

Full log entry can be found here: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....e-569f5196be59

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    This story reminds me of a geocache log entry I read some time ago for a cache placed on Bartlett Haystack - according to the log the geocacher's companion lost a more potent weapon that he was carrying for protection against bears! Here is a quote:

"T first visited Bartlett Haystack on September 30, 1975, when working on climbing all the 3000' foot peaks of New England...."

Full log entry can be found here: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....e-569f5196be59
    Thanks for the link, that would definitely be Tom Sawyer!

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    It really sucks that the bears ultimately pay the price for the stupidity of humans. I'd rather see them ban hiking in the area, increase enforcement of regulations, etc in the area versus killing the bears. But that would disrupt the precious 4k peak bagging process.
    Thank you for this wisdom! It is interesting how humans frame this as a "bear problem" when we are the cause.

Brian