Gorge Brook Trail - Mount Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavypack

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a NY ADK/Catskill hiker with a decent amount of experience, training and gear. I recently moved to the northwestern Boston area and am thinking of getting into the NH woods for the first time.

I am thinking that the Gorge Brook Trail - Mount Moosilauke would be a decent place to start this Saturday. Mileage and ascent gain is fine. Other than the bazillion other hikers thinking like me for the weekend, is there anything that i should "consider" about this hike.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Sweeney

Its a great hike, its the easiest trail on the mountain, very enjoyable. The road gets busy with parking on the weekends, the earlier you start the better. An out and back is fine, but I would suggest doing a loop using the Carriage road to the Snapper trail on you're descent. This will also allow you if you feel like it, to bag the South summit as well. Just a side note, on the opposite side of the mountain is the Beaver brook trail (part of the AT). This route is the toughest trail on the mountain. It had wooden steps, and metal rungs drilled into the ledges. It quite steep and the initial elevation gain is pretty stout, but you also climb along some beautiful cascades. This is a classic trail in the Whites. Just thought I'd throw it out there. You get less tourist on the BB trail.

This is very helpful. We will likely just do the in and out and not the loop as my spouse is not a fan of "steep down" moments, although she is also a seasoned hiker. I will save the loop for another time.

This is very helpful. We will likely just do the in and out and not the loop as my spouse is not a fan of "steep down" moments, although she is also a seasoned hiker. I will save the loop for another time.

I do the out and back on occasion as well. You will also have access to the Dartmouth Outing clubs new lodge at the base. It was just rebuilt and is quite impressive. I love going in an grabbing a coffee after my hike and using the facility's too.;)

There are no steep down parts of either side of the loop. If anything, there's more steep on Gorge Brook than Snapper, mainly on a few sections of rock steps. The loop (up Gorge Brook, down Carriage Road and Snapper) is nearly the exact same distance as the out and back on Gorge Brook.

Beaver Brook is a trail that you should avoid if your wife doesn't like "steep down" moments.

Nothing wrong with the out and back but don't confuse Sierra's two comments. Beaver Brook Trail is an alternate out and back from Route 112. The descent on the loop hike going down the old Carriage Road and then the Snapper Trail is not steep. IMO, the best part of the Moosilauke hike is the approximately 1 mile ridge walk between Moosilauke summit and the South Peak which is a great viewpoint. The short spur to South Peak at the junction with the Glencliff Trail is just .2m and less than 100 feet of elevation. Definitely worth it.

Looks like Dave beat me to the punch. Listen to him. He knows that mountain.

There are no steep down parts of either side of the loop. If anything, there's more steep on Gorge Brook than Snapper, mainly on a few sections of rock steps. The loop (up Gorge Brook, down Carriage Road and Snapper) is nearly the exact same distance as the out and back on Gorge Brook.

Beaver Brook is a trail that you should avoid if your wife doesn't like "steep down" moments.

Thanks for the clarification. Heading over to do some map and trail book shopping. I have a lot of local data to learn.

Nothing wrong with the out and back but don't confuse Sierra's two comments. Beaver Brook Trail is an alternate out and back from Route 112. The descent on the loop hike going down the old Carriage Road and then the Snapper Trail is not steep. IMO, the best part of the Moosilauke hike is the approximately 1 mile ridge walk between Moosilauke summit and the South Peak which is a great viewpoint. The short spur to South Peak at the junction with the Glencliff Trail is just .2m and less than 100 feet of elevation. Definitely worth it.

Looks like Dave beat me to the punch. Listen to him. He knows that mountain.

Great info - again thanks for helping the ex-NYer!

If you want trail books, the Mountain Wanderer on Main Street in Lincoln s the place to go. Realistically all you need is the White Mountain Guide. The owner of the Mountain Wanderer happens to be the editor of the White Mountain Guide.

Adding my opinion that you should climb South Peak, it's very rewarding for little effort and you're usually alone there. Coming down Carriage Road and Snapper, you're on an actual woods road part of the way.

Adding my opinion that you should climb South Peak, it's very rewarding for little effort and you're usually alone there. Coming down Carriage Road and Snapper, you're on an actual woods road part of the way.

Great info - thank you and I am looking forward to a day in the mountains. It has been way too long.

I'll just echo what others have said. Do a loop either direction using Gorge Brook, Snapper, and Old Carriage Road hitting South Peak as well. Awesome hike.

9xr95LbgxS4isFjZrGzKNT-KQhaT_77NiXcvevei5v13LFD6nXcw396txfCGdugb8fyJ2FqXaWXxQJW-61oXGxqoznlyeNIixIJeNsJFIeyRrUgai4YD0bZbEsmrgFrBhpjgwTBMVFvSeAw_eUxMuD719-yLsG8SqiWk3NoRqsYKiY6PmS8LGmrE-rH-gct3Kr2RWVIF_pcLXtvsqjWcRhEZWdCU6tn-dAV7tSkn5M5kmwRYSLHJQ1sesJhh-5AtGZoUT2kBa3ZvXVhLZjD1VFISPFlOpw8RVPywZQXWVzbSQK6tzLhSwdF_H1RqbVJrHB_3nFrRFYgmEVAPr5AP8Nrlae64LoNJAn55KysNdXKDHGBuwRK4GAzOcIAB-zGbBog1cWPND9ru_1hI7ekCbhTlpqcFJZa-i-o156KMxZq-ZTuJlbOsTpQU7sdzM9tvVf4OjyS8Sz_RzE5cFOV22B_4qf6BaIiP5m04wC-213NR0u5f2IeVN16K1iQE2m4CCUzEeQSCNKsxzHL6YZR2Ar-yQVfIaXjaHDQ9JBx5Q6pIcnKBQFs2KTkaG-5YKhgOc_rTg7HaF41I8VQHv-mQVmp2ns3rpnGTeWUHDwFUEP68SmMVJOclIDtnbB4tTI_hGyPHENvnFSExy_zsWQY9L4onN16BRuu4FmldTYsDGyLTvLIjeKPz4ZI=w900-h655-no

Hi Matt,
Long time no see! I hope all is well. You've received great advice, so I don't have much to add except when Linda & I climbed it in July, we saw a moose and a calf! You will love the Whites;; it's our favorite hiking destination. :)
Rob

Great advice here. I would add that the peak is a bit isolated so it creates its own weather patterns. The summit is very exposed and typically has high winds. Plenty of tree cover on the approaches and on the ridge though.