Thread: "Augmented"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Augmented"

In 1982 a man lost his lower legs to frostbite on Mt. Washington.

There is a new movie coming out, Augmented, about his obtaining new prosthetic ones, and the technology of prosthetics in general.

Here is the trailer: https://vimeo.com/360334156

Brian

Based on your description, I'm assuming that's Hugh Herr, who lost his legs in the incident that claimed (so far) the only life of a S&R volunteer in NH (Albert Dow). He has been deeply involved in prosthetic research, particularly driving for full recovery of activity, and many of the Boston marathon survivors worked with him.

There are other connections to this board that I will let others share as they deem appropriate.

What jniehof said, there is a decent probability you've been on here with a family member of Hugh or passed them on the trail, I have. He is amongst the leaders in prosthetic research in order to allow people to continue to be active in their sports.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    What jniehof said, there is a decent probability you've been on here with a family member of Hugh or passed them on the trail, I have. He is amongst the leaders in prosthetic research in order to allow people to continue to be active in their sports.
    And to his credit, Hugh has done his best over the years to make amends to the Valley SAR and guide communities that felt Albert Dow's loss most intensely.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

At the time of Hugh Herr's accident, I was in my second year of climbing. The rescue was a really big deal and it had quite an impact on me. Not only did it enlighten me as to how bad things could go, it introduced me to the world of SAR and what they go through. Joe Lentini did a Ted's talk on the rescue and its aftermath, it is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    At the time of Hugh Herr's accident, I was in my second year of climbing. The rescue was a really big deal and it had quite an impact on me. Not only did it enlighten me as to how bad things could go, it introduced me to the world of SAR and what they go through. Joe Lentini did a Ted's talk on the rescue and its aftermath, it is very interesting.
    https://www.wmur.com/article/wednesd...t-dow/23132400
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Yup, I was 11 at the time. Both my father and great uncle were involved in search operations for this incident. Left a big impact on the local community but the example of my dad and great uncle were motivation for me to get involved in SAR operations in later years with Gary Carr, USFS Ranger at the Andro HQ in Gorham (when it was across from Libbys Pool).
    " by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in.."- From the letter of my great uncle Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry) to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

LIVE FREE OR DIE - DEATH IS NOT THE GREATEST OF EVILS
    Gen. John Stark July 1809

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    In 1982 a man lost his lower legs to frostbite on Mt. Washington.
    This guy (be sure to watch Part II): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6_0nI5U-Qg