"Augmented"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on your description, I'm assuming that's Hugh Herr, who lost his legs in the incident that claimed (so far) the only life of a S&R volunteer in NH (Albert Dow). He has been deeply involved in prosthetic research, particularly driving for full recovery of activity, and many of the Boston marathon survivors worked with him.

There are other connections to this board that I will let others share as they deem appropriate.

What jniehof said, there is a decent probability you've been on here with a family member of Hugh or passed them on the trail, I have. He is amongst the leaders in prosthetic research in order to allow people to continue to be active in their sports.

At the time of Hugh Herr's accident, I was in my second year of climbing. The rescue was a really big deal and it had quite an impact on me. Not only did it enlighten me as to how bad things could go, it introduced me to the world of SAR and what they go through. Joe Lentini did a Ted's talk on the rescue and its aftermath, it is very interesting.

What jniehof said, there is a decent probability you've been on here with a family member of Hugh or passed them on the trail, I have. He is amongst the leaders in prosthetic research in order to allow people to continue to be active in their sports.

And to his credit, Hugh has done his best over the years to make amends to the Valley SAR and guide communities that felt Albert Dow's loss most intensely.

Yup, I was 11 at the time. Both my father and great uncle were involved in search operations for this incident. Left a big impact on the local community but the example of my dad and great uncle were motivation for me to get involved in SAR operations in later years with Gary Carr, USFS Ranger at the Andro HQ in Gorham (when it was across from Libbys Pool).

Watching now.... "didn't have a map or compass". In SAR archives, how many times have I heard that?