Lizzie Bourne Monument On Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's proof the Cog isn't doing this for Gravy. Tracks were not there when this photo was taken.

Attachments

• 73341343_401220490789933_4105320158891868160_o.jpg
    73341343_401220490789933_4105320158891868160_o.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 97
She died way before they even got started and only reached the summit in 1869. Thus their 150 yr celebration this year

Didn't the family follow the future cog track up? I'm pretty sure the railway was under construction and they followed it part way up the mountain.

According to the article I read they followed the carriage road, which I presume is now the auto road. There was no mention of a train.

According to the article I read they followed the carriage road, which I presume is now the auto road. There was no mention of a train.

Here is the true story of Lizzy and her peril. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/40478779/lizzie-bourne

This photo shows the exact spot were she perished. Being it's color photo I assume it's still there. Never saw it myself. The other near the tracks was the memorial he wanted.

Sylvester Marsh (founder of Cog) had a short demonstration in 1866 to raise money to do the Cog. Short is the key. Tracks didn't go far from the Base Station. So not even close to Lizzy's death. Also he didn't receive permission to obtain a charter for the Base Road and the mountain road for the track until 1858. No work was done until 1866.

Attachments

• sdfjk.jpg
    sdfjk.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
CaptCaper is correct. Lizzies death preceded the Cog by 14 years. She did follow the Carriage road as many did. In that time frame it was the Carriage road or the Crawford path that were used to reach the summit by most.

Went up Nelson Crag Trail SAT so I figured I'd get a chance to see the sign for myself. Unfortunately it had either blown away or was taken down for the Winter. Was just a post in a pile of rocks. At least I know where it is now..... :(

Went up Nelson Crag Trail SAT so I figured I'd get a chance to see the sign for myself. Unfortunately it had either blown away or was taken down for the Winter. Was just a post in a pile of rocks. At least I know where it is now..... :(

They probably took it down. The last one lasted 30yrs and this one made by the same guy probably will too. They don't fool around.