Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lizzie Bourne Monument On Washington

Lizzie Bourne Monument On Washington

I was listening to a podcast last week about the Mount Washington hotel, its haunted reputation and various other historical stories about the creation of the hotel. Among several stories they mentioned was the one about Lizzie Bourne dying near the summit on an ill fated summit hike with her cousin and uncle. Apparently this was somewhat of a famous story at the time. There is mention of a large cairn that her ghost supposedly has been seen at on the anniversary of her death. I did some casual research on it and Amazon even has black and white prints for sale of the cairn. But the photos in various articles look to be different cairns and in different spots. Some show a huge rock pile right near the tracks and others show a rock pile well down a steep slope. I assume it has changed a lot over the many years since it happened, possibly was even moved or is actually gone now.

Does that cairn still exist? Always like to learn about these types of little historical nuggets for various landmarks you come across hiking. I do not remember seeing this anywhere on my numerous trips up Washington. Would be curious to check it out the next time I'm up there if it still exists. If anyone can describe approximately where it is I'd be curious to know so I can check it out one of these days.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

It is near Nelson Crag pretty close to the Cog tracks. It used to have a white box with her story on it held up by a wooden pole. Been years since I have seen it in person, the cairn was good size. I was followed by a ghost once, soloing the Crawford path one winter in the fog. It was a woman in a Victorian dress, at the time, I actually thought of her.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    It is near Nelson Crag pretty close to the Cog tracks. It used to have a white box with her story on it held up by a wooden pole. Been years since I have seen it in person, the cairn was good size. I was followed by a ghost once, soloing the Crawford path one winter in the fog. It was a woman in a Victorian dress, at the time, I actually thought of her.
    OK. By "Nelson Crag" you mean the trail, not the actual crag which is well down the mountain away from the tracks. Do you mean Ball Crag just before the Auto Road? No doubt I've walked right by it and never realized what it was. Nelson Crag is one of my favorite trails but I usually turn off and cut across Alpine Garden versus heading up to the crowds at the summit.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    OK. By "Nelson Crag" you mean the trail, not the actual crag which is well down the mountain away from the tracks. Do you mean Ball Crag just before the Auto Road? No doubt I've walked right by it and never realized what it was. Nelson Crag is one of my favorite trails but I usually turn off and cut across Alpine Garden versus heading up to the crowds at the summit.
    Yes, I didn't say it right. I took the Nelson Crag trail up and the monument is up near Ball Crag, right below the summit building. That is the heart breaking part of the story, they were minutes from the Tip Top House, they just couldn't see it.

It's about .2 miles from the summit near the cog tracks.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    It's about .2 miles from the summit near the cog tracks.

Why do I get the feeling that if I posted some random longitude and latitude here you would have detailed photos of that area? Seriously, you must have the most comprehensive collection of photos of anyone in New England. Thanks for the picture.

I am more than a bit cynical that the only reason a sign exists is that its convenient prop for the cog

Home: Northwest CT / Avatar: Madison 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I am more than a bit cynical that the only reason a sign exists is that its convenient prop for the cog
    Being convenient for the cog could just be gravy. Shouldn't not do something worthwhile on it's own just because the doer gets a benefit from it as well...

TomK
    Never loved your plains, your gentle valleys/Your drowsy country lanes and pleached alleys.
    I want my hills, the trail that scorns the hollow/Up, up the ragged shale where few will follow.

High on my hills of dream, dear hills that know me/And then how fair will seem the lands below me
    How pure at vesper time, the far bells chiming/God, give me strength to climb, and hills for climbing. "Hills" - Arthur Guiterman

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    LMAO. Kind of like all those Summit signs that all those hikers take their pictures next to. No reason to be cynical about it though IMO. Just very convenient indeed.
    Last edited by skiguy; 10-10-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that if I posted some random longitude and latitude here you would have detailed photos of that area? Seriously, you must have the most comprehensive collection of photos of anyone in New England. Thanks for the picture.
    You mean like this?

Joe

You mean like this?

Hah! That's awesome.

You mean like this?

Hi Joe, cool shot. Where exactly did you take your shot?
    Mine is from just north of Yellowstone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip pictures

There is a similar content sign on RT 3 in Clarksville NH. The location of any given sign is not as simple as one may think. https://www.nhpr.org/post/granite-ge...allel#stream/0

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Hi Joe, cool shot. Where exactly did you take your shot?
    That one is on RT 145 in Clarksville, NH. On the 45th parallel.
    Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lizzy Bourne sign front - August 196.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	6293 This close to the top
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.