Anyone Hiking after Knee Replacement?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not had knee surgery. I felt like I needed it, but upon looking at my x-rays and examining me my doctor said it was MILD osteoarthritis and recommended temporary NSAIDs and physical therapy. Off the meds and have just a little minor pain from time to time. The reason I am joining your discussion is that we went to Mt. Roberts yesterday (my first "real" hike since last year) and I have had no pain. It may be a nice one for those looking to get back into the swing of things. Best wishes to all of you and thanks for your shared wisdom.
Thats how mine started. Taking NSAID's will destroy your organs in the long run. And your knees will go bad faster from here anyway. They sort of have that Snowball effect rolling along. Been there done that. I found 3 different doctors wouldn't push or offer TKR when I needed it really. They don't want lawsuits from someone trying to hold them accountable. I had to tell them I want it period. And had to show I was ready to go for it.
Don't wait too long and suffer until I found walking was a chore. I thought I had to wait until I was in my 70's or so. Not so. They last forever it seems and if not forever revisions are a piece of cake now. My mom had it done to both knees and they lasted 35 yrs until her death. And they were done many years ago. Now they have better plastics and metals and surgery techniques.
On a side note I had TSR in one shoulder as well. Shouldn't of waited so long to have that done as well.

Hey thanks! I never finished the NSAIDs, which my doctor was happy to hear. When I told him they wreck your stomach, he told me overuse could lead to kidney disease as well. My cousin is on dialysis, so I have a reminder right under my roof to avoid such things. I have rheumatoid as well, but reduced the symptoms 95% by avoiding nightshade plants. OA, of course, is structural and not an autoimmune disorder like RA. The physical therapy has helped; theory is that the muscles are doing most of the work thus relieving the knee of pressure. I am 65, ladies on my mother's side generally make it to the 90s, provided they stay away from that worst nightshade - TOBACCO! Keeping an eye on it, have a lot of sick leave saved up at the good ol' USPS, if need be I will use it toward a pre-retirement gift of new knees.

Hey thanks! I never finished the NSAIDs, which my doctor was happy to hear. When I told him they wreck your stomach, he told me overuse could lead to kidney disease as well. My cousin is on dialysis, so I have a reminder right under my roof to avoid such things. I have rheumatoid as well, but reduced the symptoms 95% by avoiding nightshade plants. OA, of course, is structural and not an autoimmune disorder like RA. The physical therapy has helped; theory is that the muscles are doing most of the work thus relieving the knee of pressure. I am 65, ladies on my mother's side generally make it to the 90s, provided they stay away from that worst nightshade - TOBACCO! Keeping an eye on it, have a lot of sick leave saved up at the good ol' USPS, if need be I will use it toward a pre-retirement gift of new knees
I was early 60's when I had gotten to getting bad pain in them if on my feet running around for a long day. I should of had them done then. I had them done at about 66 yrs What a waste of pain,time and loss of an active life. No need now to wait with the surgery methods and hardware they have.