Thread: MSR has a new binding system

MSR has a new binding system

https://www.msrgear.com/snowshoes/as....html?srd=true

Now! with toes stops.

They won't sell the whole binding separately but...

https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Snowshoe-.../dp/B07WRS712G

Looking forward a review here.

Cheers

I was lucky enough to be part of the testing group last year and have 100+ miles on them. I really like the new design over the old one, less stuff to fiddle with. Downhills are nicer. I broke my foot in the fall before testing and found them to be more comfortable with fewer pressure points. I miss the strap redundancy for worst case scenarios but the new binding has shown very little wear so far. Prone to snow building up in the mesh in spring conditions, which was annoying but not a dealbreaker. If you've been looking for an excuse to add to your snowshoe inventory, between this and the updated crampons 2 seasons ago, this might be it. The binding is interchangable with the old posilocks. I've been switching them back and forth between my Revos and LAs depending on conditions and use case.

Appears you can't get them to work with existing MSRs though, or am I wrong? Thanks for posting. Looks like an improvement for those of us susceptible to cold hands and fingers.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Appears you can't get them to work with existing MSRs though, or am I wrong? Thanks for posting. Looks like an improvement for those of us susceptible to cold hands and fingers.
    They won't sell the binding/crampon separately but if you buy a new pair of shoes you can move the new binding/crampon to your older decks. I did it all last season, moving them between my 4 year old LA's, my 2 year old LA's, and my new RA's.

Is the binding swap just a matter of drilling out the rivets on the older shoes and bolting the Paragon onto the remaining plates as needed?

Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    Is the binding swap just a matter of drilling out the rivets on the older shoes and bolting the Paragon onto the remaining plates as needed?

Any pics?
    Way easier. Just pull the two pins that attach the binding/crampon to the deck. It swaps the entire binding/crampon, not just the binding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1571609963914899896739661100577.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	6294
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15716100265845191622430518906751.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	6295  

$319 for snowshoes. Holy moly.
    Sure. Why not.

Ahhh. Of course. Thanks JnB.

#300 is steep. Thats why I was hoping they would sell just the binding. I may get the webbing and try to rig something.

But I have had my Evos for years and years with no troubles at all.

Looks user friendly as far as putting them on but they look as if field repair ability could be difficult. The red rubber webbing connection with the pin at the toe especially.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Looks user friendly as far as putting them on but they look as if field repair ability could be difficult. The red rubber webbing connection with the pin at the toe especially.
    That was my one complaint during testing. Having to carry an extra webbing part on top of an extra strap instead of just being able to move a strap from one place to another is kind of a bummer.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerbrian View Post
    $319 for snowshoes. Holy moly.
    Yeah, I wonder how many miles one can expect from a pair. Obviously a lot of variability. My All Flex's probably have 100-150 and are doing fine. For what I paid, it's down to about a dollar a mile.
    | 63.8% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail