MSR has a new binding system

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lucky enough to be part of the testing group last year and have 100+ miles on them. I really like the new design over the old one, less stuff to fiddle with. Downhills are nicer. I broke my foot in the fall before testing and found them to be more comfortable with fewer pressure points. I miss the strap redundancy for worst case scenarios but the new binding has shown very little wear so far. Prone to snow building up in the mesh in spring conditions, which was annoying but not a dealbreaker. If you've been looking for an excuse to add to your snowshoe inventory, between this and the updated crampons 2 seasons ago, this might be it. The binding is interchangable with the old posilocks. I've been switching them back and forth between my Revos and LAs depending on conditions and use case.

Appears you can't get them to work with existing MSRs though, or am I wrong? Thanks for posting. Looks like an improvement for those of us susceptible to cold hands and fingers.

Appears you can't get them to work with existing MSRs though, or am I wrong? Thanks for posting. Looks like an improvement for those of us susceptible to cold hands and fingers.

They won't sell the binding/crampon separately but if you buy a new pair of shoes you can move the new binding/crampon to your older decks. I did it all last season, moving them between my 4 year old LA's, my 2 year old LA's, and my new RA's.

Is the binding swap just a matter of drilling out the rivets on the older shoes and bolting the Paragon onto the remaining plates as needed?

Any pics?

Is the binding swap just a matter of drilling out the rivets on the older shoes and bolting the Paragon onto the remaining plates as needed?

Any pics?

Way easier. Just pull the two pins that attach the binding/crampon to the deck. It swaps the entire binding/crampon, not just the binding.

1571609963914899896739661100577.jpg

Attachments

• 15716100265845191622430518906751.jpg
    15716100265845191622430518906751.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 128
Ahhh. Of course. Thanks JnB.

#300 is steep. Thats why I was hoping they would sell just the binding. I may get the webbing and try to rig something.

But I have had my Evos for years and years with no troubles at all.

Looks user friendly as far as putting them on but they look as if field repair ability could be difficult. The red rubber webbing connection with the pin at the toe especially.

Looks user friendly as far as putting them on but they look as if field repair ability could be difficult. The red rubber webbing connection with the pin at the toe especially.

That was my one complaint during testing. Having to carry an extra webbing part on top of an extra strap instead of just being able to move a strap from one place to another is kind of a bummer.

Yeah, I wonder how many miles one can expect from a pair. Obviously a lot of variability. My All Flex's probably have 100-150 and are doing fine. For what I paid, it's down to about a dollar a mile.

To answer that: about 120 for the Revos. I am hard on my gear but was shocked to see the front lips of both shoes had bent and the steel cracked when I got back to the truck at the end of this weekend's trip. The bindings are still fine and will be moved over to my LA's.

I've been happy with my Lightning Ascents with the new bindings so far, though it's been a very light year. The only issue I've had is that I wear size 14 shoes and boots, and had to order the extra long heel strap. On and off is much easier than the old bindings, with only one strap to tighten. $320 is a lot of dough, but if you call MSR to ask a few questions about them and then tell them you're going to order from REI because of the 10+5% rebate for being a member and using their card, but you're really bummed because REI takes so long to ship and you'd love to use them next weekend, they'll give you the 30% friends and family discount... or so I've been told ; - ) have fun!