Thanks for all the great information Re: Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Hiking Katahdin has been on my bucket list for many years. Attempted to set up a trip last year, but was hit with various illnesses and related setbacks. Made reservations for a date earlier this month, only to have the forecast turn to heavy rain. Was fortunate enough to be able to change the date to last Sunday, at a different campsite. Turned out to be an excellent day.

Took almost 11 hours to hike the Hunt trail to the top and back. Old age will do that to a person.

None of this would have been possible without all the great advice threads and trip reports found on this site. I am accustomed to day hikes and no rules. Baxter was initially quite intimidating in regards to paperwork, rules, hours, dates open, where to go, parking, etc., etc..

Thank you (all).

Attachments

• Katahdin.jpg
    Katahdin.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 163
Great photo,hard to beat a good day on Katahdin. IMHO worth the up front education/hassle once you drive through the gate.

Just realize, there is lot more to the park then just Katahdin. Add Doubletop, The Coe/Brothers Loop and the Traveler loop and of course the Knife Edge to your BSP bucket list.

Hiking Katahdin has been on my bucket list ....

Wow, what a fantastic picture! If that was your summit day you were indeed fortunate.

Katahdin is more than a park or a peak. It's really a state of mind.

Hope you get back into that zone again.
cb

Took almost 11 hours to hike the Hunt trail to the top and back. Old age will do that to a person.

Yes, age will slow down one's pace but so will the desire, appreciation and spiritual engagement of the place you are at. Maybe one's age should not be cited in the context of pace but in the context of awareness.

s/ an aged whiskey drinker :)