Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's that time of year...Hunting Season

Bears are very difficult to hunt. They cover much ground, are stealthy, nocturnal to some degree, etc. etc. How many times have you seen a bear (one that isn't accustomed to humans and visiting shelters) while hiking? Bait and dogs are allowed so that the population can be managed. Don't forget hunting licenses, fees, taxes on equipment and many other hunting sources of revenue are used to preserve lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    I'm not a hunter and I've no problem with people hunting. As a trail runner here in Rhode Island I pretty much always wear bright orange when I'm in the woods whether it's hunting season or not. The sound of gunfire, off in the distance - I'm used to it now and pay it no heed when I'm running.

But I had no idea that bear hunting with a pack of dogs was a thing up north. To just send them off and then track them by GPS? That seems incredibly irresponsible, especially in light of this article.
    "The sound of gunfire, off in the distance - I'm used to it now" Planting this Talking Heads lyric into your response should not go unnoticed. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    I'm not a hunter and I've no problem with people hunting.
    I definitely oppose people hunting. Bear hunting? Ok, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    I definitely oppose people hunting.
    I would counter that you clearly have not met enough people. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I would counter that you clearly have not met enough people. ;-)
    Even watched this clearly "B" movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Season_(1974_film)
    Joe

I wish they would allow more Deer taken. Had way too many come out and crash into the side of me when driving. Causing ton's of money on my side. Thankful they take them out and should have 2 seasons for that.
    Love when my friends send over some Deer burgers. Goes with the Turkey sausage they give along with some Steak Tips and Chicken wings we Wolf down.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    I wish they would allow more Deer taken. Had way too many come out and crash into the side of me when driving. Causing ton's of money on my side. Thankful they take them out and should have 2 seasons for that.
    Love when my friends send over some Deer burgers. Goes with the Turkey sausage they give along with some Steak Tips and Chicken wings we Wolf down.
    As I understand it the number of tags are not the problem. Their are plenty of tags to go around. The problem is there are not enough decent hunters that actually manage to fill their tag to reach the needed cull number. The kill to tag issue ratio keeps going down and that is the problem in reaching the proper cull number.

In over 30 years of hiking the Whites, yesterday was the first time I actually encountered hunters while I was on the hiking trail (as opposed to seeing them roadside). Saw a couple of hunters while about a mile in on the Carter-Moriah trail from Bangor Road. They were rifle hunters looking for deer, and were heading from Route 2 toward Stony Brook. Very friendly; said the woods there were full of deer (although we saw neither deer nor tracks). They were walking perpendicular to the trail, and were well aware of where the trail was. Heard a couple of shots at some distance later in the day. No idea if it was the same group of hunters.