WiFi and Food Trucks in National Parks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think this is a horrible idea, both philosophically and practically. On a personal level I hate the notion of corrupting a "nature experience" with all the amenities of modern city life. It cheapens and demeans the whole joy of going out into the outdoors in the first place. And on a practical level, driving even more foot traffic to parks and campgrounds already stretched to the limit battling issues like littering, leave no trace, feeding wild life, etc, etc, etc, etc just seems idiotic. The article states they don't really have the money to do this to begin with so where would any management funding come from, if any?

Personally I think this is a horrible idea, both philosophically and practically. On a personal level I hate the notion of corrupting a "nature experience" with all the amenities of modern city life. It cheapens and demeans the whole joy of going out into the outdoors in the first place. And on a practical level, driving even more foot traffic to parks and campgrounds already stretched to the limit battling issues likeo littering, leave no trace, feeding wild life, etc, etc, etc, etc just seems idiotic. The article states they don't really have the money to do this to begin with so where would any management funding come from, if any?

This is about installing wifi in the village stores, hotels as well as centered on visitor centers and employee housing only. Sounds like line of sight TCCSkywire) type. I've been to Yellowstone 5 times and I agree to have it in those areas. Get the weather and other important data.
You can get the real story here. https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/19051.htm?fbclid=IwAR2ne8ghgOGYxwR1DuqfSRQEr50NegZSi2yGpD6C8CLxHhHEaAAxhyisf40

Last edited:
I skimmed the letter (it's quite long and detailed). On a fast read, the recommendations make sense to me. (I particularly agree with the emphasis on building opportunity for youth and veterans.)

I'm a relative old-timer, and I'm fine in camp with granola and a paperback book to read. But the world has changed, and that is not the experience newer visitors are looking for. I think we need to be recognizing the newer visitor population, accept the reality that they are going to keep coming, and manage accordingly, if we want to build a "constituency for public lands."

If we take the position: "I'm a grumpy old man with my granola and my book, and everyone else should be happy with granola and a book" then we risk chasing these visitors away. Then when we're gone, the "constituency for public lands" is gone with us.

I suspect some here probably remember but there used to be a couple of food trucks that did a good business on the Route 73 corridor between Northway Exit 30 and Keene, NY. One operated right off the exit at that pull-off right by the spring and the food was absolutely awesome!! A retired NYC character of some variety who could cook up a storm. The other was at the 73/9N intersection and was operated by a local dude with a white beard. Food wasn’t quite as awesome (still good) but was way more convenient for me since I was living in the area at the time. Back in the mid-90s this was. Good stuff. So I am definitely pro food truck. :)

This is about installing wifi in the village stores, hotels as well as centered on visitor centers and employee housing only. Sounds like line of sight TCCSkywire) type. I've been to Yellowstone 5 times and I agree to have it in those areas. Get the weather and other important data.
You can get the real story here. https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/19051.htm?fbclid=IwAR2ne8ghgOGYxwR1DuqfSRQEr50NegZSi2yGpD6C8CLxHhHEaAAxhyisf40

Thanks for the clarification. The blurb I saw on the news definitely made it seem like we were talking about campsites and popular hiking areas. I guess they sensationalized the story and they got me. I get the logic to have it in lodges and buildings. I don't want it in the woods.