Its Winter up North

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Like last year, winter conditions came early this year contrary to many forecasts. I have about 4" of snow on the driveway, and the softwoods are covered with snow. Seven degrees out this morning and there is noticeable wind chill. Given that it rained south of the whites I expect more than few folks will come up to hike and be surprised at the conditions.

Like last year, winter conditions came early this year contrary to many forecasts. I have about 4" of snow on the driveway, and the softwoods are covered with snow. Seven degrees out this morning and there is noticeable wind chill. Given that it rained south of the whites I expect more than few folks will come up to hike and be surprised at the conditions.

Micro spikes and gaiters and gloves. OH MY!!

And -55 wind chill atop the hill.

Same over here in the Adirondacks. 7" of nice snow and 3 degrees this morning. And the same down south over here - mostly rain and slush from Albany down, so visitors may be surprised that winter is here.

Yes, it's beautiful. I don't know how long it will last, but so far with the cold temperatures it has stayed pretty powder. Snow shoed today on a local hill; it was spectacular in the afternoon light

Most people I saw on Monadnock on Sunday had no traction. With the snow and rain and then cold weather, the icy spots on White Arrow should fill in there too. It could be an interesting rescue weekend for slip and fall injuries.

Maybe I should have spent less time on the trails this fall and not procrastinating on those items that should have been done before winter started. Spent the afternoon in the NEK installing plow and chains on parents tractor. Six inches of snow and 10 degrees when I headed home. Damn, my hands were cold.

Winter Conditions up north after this last storm. Seven to eight inches of snow up in Gorham. Depths are a bit lower on paved surfaces.

Reportedly lots of cars and trucks with summer and all season tires having issues with traction. Good early bonus for tow truck drivers ;)

First full snowplow of my driveway this year

Last edited: