The Movie “Dirtbag”

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I just streamed this bio pic about Fred Beckey off Amazon Prime and found it really interesting.

His single mindedness for climbing new routes was all consuming to the point of precluding any lifestyle most of us would consider “normal.” He lived in his car, never had a job, and was also quite the ladies-man. Who knew?

In his last years at 80-plus he was still attempting climbs he had no chance of completing. His mind was driving him but his body just could no follow. (Maybe some of can relate.)

An added plus of the movie is its interviews with climbing legends such as Layton Kor, Chiounard, Dyrenfurth and others.

Worth seeing for sure.

I think someone shared this in another thread a few weeks back. It is a good movie.

When I first started climbing in the mid 70's it was rumored that Fred had some sort of secret book or diary that had all the beta on his many ongoing projects. Fred was a Dirtbag before anyone knew how to be a Dirtbag.FredBeckey-WillBelayforFood_SouthLakeTahoe_Photo-CoreyRich.jpg

When I first started climbing in the mid 70's it was rumored that Fred had some sort of secret book or diary that had all the beta on his many ongoing projects. Fred was a Dirtbag before anyone knew how to be a Dirtbag.View attachment 6306

Everywhere I've climbed in North America there was a Beckey route, usually the "Beckey Direct." The man was prolific for sure.

I see him as a climbing savant, possibly on the autism spectrum. Single minded and focused to a fault and not concerned with personal relationships other than those that fostered his own climbing projects.

Leaving his sick Swiss partner in high Camp on Lhotse and descending alone sealed his fate with Dyrenfurth. He might have been on the first American Everest ascent had he not done that. Although he was not big into supporting roles. There was no "Fred" in "Team!"

Well, he certainly was one of a kind.

A person to be admired although not necessarily emulated. Tough nut.

Saw the flick, know his history, admire his life. The world needs people like him.