Ultra long Distance light weight hikes question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
I have been reading both online and in publications about lightweight long distance day hikes. It sounds great at first then I started thinking , some of the stuff people wtie about is in the realm of the ultra fit and possibly ultra marathoner types. A few Examples are in a recent edition of Backpacker hat includes the 30 + mile Pemi loop ,a hike in Co that is above 10,0000 for most of its length and climbing Whitney in one day. I know for sure I could not do the Pemi loop in one day with out being completely exhausted at the end of the hike and probably un able to drive very far. Maybe to the Hancock campground. My limit is about 10 – 20 miles depending on conditions and gear I am wearing plastic double boots cut down on distances greatly . .
I know that some people regardless of psychical shape are never going ot hike 20 + miles one day. Our physiology is different in each of us. I started thinking is this not encouraging people to go out and try a ultra long distance hike, .
I like every one else want to carry a light load, but Is it possible that there is a limit or taking to little ?
I also am thinking that in some respects hiking is turning in to a endurance sport for the super fit ultra marathoner types. I am in good shape but will never being a ultra long distance hiker no matter how much I exersise or train ,. It I just how my body is made. . . That is fine if to you wanted to go light and fast but there are consequences and responsibilities. I wish this was pointed out more, and that just hiking up a easy peak is just as fun and rewarding. I am not putting down the people who go on extremely long fast hikes at all just hoping the other do not feel the have to follow suit
Any other thoughts?

Who cares?

RGF1 said:
I also am thinking that in some respects hiking is turning in to a endurance sport for the super fit ultra marathoner types.
Ah, hiking isn't turning into anything. Let's all just just hike our own hikes already.

I have enjoyed reading about some fast hikers and fast hikes, but it doesn't change my behavior in the least. OK, maybe I'll check out a piece of gear if it seems ridiculously lightweight. To be honest, it doesn't have much more of an effect on me than reading about a really slow hike.

I just read and think 'good for them'.

Last edited:
I does seem like the "fast" hikers always get the attention, whether its the media or just word of mouth. Probably due to the sensationalism of it all - Whats more interesting, a 20 mile trek done in 6 hours or a 2 mile nature hike around the bog. Human nature just seems to like the more exciting stuff.
The irony is that the 2 mile bog walk may have taught that person way more about the outdoors than what the 20 miler picked up as he/she ran through the countryside.

Al, I think if you read what I wrote you would see that I do not have a problem with any style of hiking. I just think there is a trend and it is towards light fast ultra fit hikers. I do not think it is good at all. . As someone one who has been involved IN SAR in NH, CO and AK I am unnerved by this trend, I can see some one getting into deep trouble following this light and fast advice. If you are able to do it fine go for it but if not. Think of the people who will come to get you. I am also a bit dismayed at the media playing up the fast light and ultra marathon type hikes.
I am all for each person hiking there own hike as long as they know their limits and do not try some sort of marathon hike when they are not able , Hike your own hike is grar so long as you know your limits and remember that some one is going to come and get you. Yes most of them like my self do it voluntarily but that does not excuse a very poor judgment calls or emulating a extremely well fit super athlete most of us are not. in that category . .
This mentality has put me closer to being in favor of NH's Reckless Hiker laws. Not al of us are meant to go fast and light. And if in NH you are unprepared you will be billed meaning if you try the Pemi loop and become exhausted be billed. It is one thing to test limits it is another to try to be a super athlete. I also think this is pushing people to get into near Olympic athletic shape at all cost that is also not good. It take a lot o time money and effort to be in that shape at the cost of relationships employment and more, is it worth it ? That is thrust of my question. Hike your own hike until it endangers others. Then stop turn around and try again in better conditions both you and the mountain .

New Jeep sometimes a short hike can be very interesting . terare manty ways to enjoy hikijng and climbing I am just not happy with the fast light leave almost all gear at home go 30 miles ect mind swet it isgoing to lead to a serious SAR .

Last edited:
rgf1 -

I can hear were you are coming from...people can get sucked into this ultra distance and ultra light weight mentality and get themselves into a fine mess. I often wonder where the ultra lights draw the line? Do I not bring a fleece jacket and rain gear because it weighs too much? (Notice that they never seem to weigh too much when you need them?) Carry less water? Less food? I know a lot of the ultra light craze is that you carry everything, just lightweight versions. As long as everyone is comfortable with what they are doing and are prepared for an unforeseen emergency good luck to them. Myself, I would gladly hump a little more weight and know I can handle many more situations if I have to.

If somebody wants to walk their way into an untenable situation, one step at a time, then that's their business. I know I sure wouldn't spend my free time going and getting them.
Newjeep, you are so right, walking ever so slowly around or through a bog can be so rewarding. The trouble is: you can't measure it.
That said, one of my favourite alltime hikes was a solo overnight that covered 60 miles and 8000 feet of vertical including a traverse of a (very flat ie. no crevices) glacier. Why did I do such a thing? Because I really wanted to go there and because I had to get back to work the next day. The internet (or ultralight) didn't exist in the 70's so there was nothing to post. :rolleyes:

Personally for me doing a long day in the mountains is easier going lightweight and running than carrying a 50 pound pack. My small frame makes it harder for me to carry a heavy pack. I imagine for many people its just the opposite. The mountains are there for all to enjoy. Some like to hike slow and take in every leaf, some like to cover as much ground as possible and see as many views as possible. To each his own. I like doing both. This winter and spring I have run up 7 4000 footers on snowshoes, and have hiked 6 with a pack and gear.

Most mountain/ultra runners I know know their limits and know not to put themselves in a position that will put them or someone else in danger. I think there are quite a few people who hike with a full pack that go in over there heads despite having all the right gear. It's helpful to know how to use it too.

As for the ultra light hikes getting more exposure than traditional hikes, I personally don't think it matters. How many people hike for recognition anyways?

Here's an interesting story from our local paper.

It shows what is possible for a well trained (and middle-aged) athlete.

I find it intersting that the 51 year old can still manage these distances without knee and hip problems getting in the way.

Hope for us all!

cb

The real danger is when someone like stinkyfeet posts a trip report, stating that she just completed a certain loop in a certain amount of time, and then someone that doesn't know anything about her says "Oh, it only takes that long? Great!" and plans a trip around it! lol

But Al's right, hike your own hike, and all will be one with the universe. Someone mentioned that the fast hikers get all the attention. When I can get enough time off, I'm going to begin my quest to complete the "slowest through hike of the AT!" :rolleyes:

The record will be mine!