Wrong turn on Jefferson Notch Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To continue the drift, the Carriage Road turns off the East Flagstaff road just after it splits from Long Falls Dam road. The land is that the road runs through is owned by one of the Maine native tribes that bought the Dead River holdings in 1981. They also lease land to Maine Huts and Trails. The Carriage Road saves about an hour of driving from the west side of Bigelow to the Flagstaff side. Its definitely a seasonal road but expect its used privately during winter forestry operations.

There is a good road that accesses the Flagstaff Hut used by Maine Huts. Saw one of their trucks bring a BIG load of fire wood in there last summer. I'm not sure where this road originates. Maybe off Slide Dam Road.

We followed a road from the north end of Flagstaff Lake Hut parking lot out of curiosity and found it was only about a 15 minute walk to the hut.

To continue the drift, the Carriage Road turns off the East Flagstaff road just after it splits from Long Falls Dam road. The land is that the road runs through is owned by one of the Maine native tribes that bought the Dead River holdings in 1981. They also lease land to Maine Huts and Trails. The Carriage Road saves about an hour of driving from the west side of Bigelow to the Flagstaff side. Its definitely a seasonal road but expect its used privately during winter forestry operations.

The Carriage rd is being used now as a logging road. One of the tribes is logging out of there. Poplar Falls hut is on leased native tribe land. When the site was selected for the hut, nobody knew the falls was there. Serendipitous.

Driving to Welch-Dickey my GPS took me over Sandwich Notch road. Driving my Hyundai Elantra, I only bottomed out a couple times, but its not a road I would willingly take my car over again. Jefferson Notch Road is a hwy in comparison.