Sharpening microspikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iAmKrzys

Reaction score
I think my Kahtoolas are prime for some sharpening. I'm sure some folks have done it before. Is there any advantage to using a file instead of a grinder? How sharp should I make the points? Any other things I should be considering?

I used my Hillsounds for a hike on Saturday. I came home and one of the links was broken at the junction with the rand. It took a lot of messing around to be able to hold the link tight enough to unbend it so I could get the old one off and then salvage a good link from a broken one I keep around for just this purpose. Given the hassle with keeping things solid enough to bend things I expect sharpening would have the same issue as a file will not bite if the surface being filing is fixed in place.

Grinder wheel will sharpen quickly but soften the metal. Make a wooden jig to hold the MSs in a vise or hold with large pliers and use a large bastard file. It's tedious but taking your time will restore most of the sharp points.

I just took a closer look at my microspikes - it seems to me that my biggest problem are 2 rear-most teeth that have rounded front surfaces to the point that they look more like parabolas rather than straight lines. Other teeth also could use some sharpening but they are not nearly as bad. Looking at pictures on Kahtoola web site the originals seem to have a little bit of a bevel too.

I guess another option for me is to look at getting Hillsound Trail Crampons for steeper winter hikes. I think I will still sharpen my Kahtoolas.

If the spikes are worn to the point of not being useful any more, it's likely something else is about to fail as well: chain links or the rubber binding. When mine get dull enough to need sharpening i buy a new pair (actually switched to Hillsound) and relegate the old ones to lawn-mowing detail (we have a very steep lawn!).

I think my Kahtoolas are prime for some sharpening. I'm sure some folks have done it before. Is there any advantage to using a file instead of a grinder? How sharp should I make the points? Any other things I should be considering?

With the work involved I just buy a new set. You can as you know buy them for as little as $45 off season for sure. I use the new set were sharp points are the ticket. Like yesterday hiking shear ice. With the older ones I save and use them for hiking on trails were a sharp tooth isn't important. Like early winter or spring were there is a lot of rocks and mud and rocks showing but areas of some crusty snow and ice are there. Or around the yard here. Don't care if I trash them further walking in those conditions. Safety is still important on those days.

I just clamp mine in a pair of vise grips and use a small Dremel grinding wheel. If you just hit the spike with the grinder in very short bursts and cooling in water, you will not heat up the spike enough to lose the temper. This process works very well and is substantially faster than using a vise and file. I'm also to the point where I'm convinced that the steel Hillsound uses is not as hard as what Kahtoola uses. I know Carbon should be harder than stainless but what is the quality of the steel Hillsound is using? I was convinced when I finally broke out a new pair of Hillsounds to do Monadnock last week and lost 1/8 " of every spike. Making them now the length of Microspikes and, flat. That and all the steel plates on Hillsounds make them more prone to balling. I decided to try an experiment. Are the cheaper knock-offs worth it? There are dozens. Bought these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XXR1RHF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 After one short 4 mile hike that was steep, with a lot of rocks, roots and bare ledge, they held up great. If the mods think I git carried away here, feel free to delete. :)

JustJoe, are you sure the Hillsounds you got are not counterfeit? I would expect top brands to have comparable durability.

Now that winter is here again, I though I would post an update on sharpening my microspikes - I tried using a file as we as a rotary tool but all this was going too slow, so I ended up using a bench grinder. It probably took me about an hour to go through all teeth and I hope I didn't damage any links but it was not too bad and probably will give my Kahtoolas a bit of extra life.

Now that winter is here again, I though I would post an update on sharpening my microspikes - I tried using a file as we as a rotary tool but all this was going too slow, so I ended up using a bench grinder. It probably took me about an hour to go through all teeth and I hope I didn't damage any links but it was not too bad and probably will give my Kahtoolas a bit of extra life.

Can someone enlighten me about why they prefer Hillsounds over Katoolas? I've been happy w my microspikes but want to stay relevant. :)

Can someone enlighten me about why they prefer Hillsounds over Katoolas? I've been happy w my microspikes but want to stay relevant. :)

Are you interested in the opposite preference? I'll offer it in case you or someone else is...

In general, I like Microspikes over Hillsounds. They are lighter, less likely to: ball up, cause tripping, get tangled under foot. They go on and off faster. I have not had any problem with them coming off unintentionally.

There are conditions where I go with Hillsounds as they are between Microspikes and full crampons.

Tim

Can someone enlighten me about why they prefer Hillsounds over Kahtoolas? I've been happy w my microspikes but want to stay relevant. :)

IMHO the Hillsounds have markedly better traction on ice. Hillsounds use two flat plates one under the ball of the foot and the heel that are cut into the ice better than the Kahtoola's. The actual teeth are larger than a comparable Kahtoola. The Kahtoola's have five crescent shaped fixed plates connected by chains that are much smaller and are more able to roll instead of digging into ice. The trade off is the large fixed plates on the Kahtoolas tend to ball up quicker on packed snow. I have noticed on group trips that they do ball quicker then the Kahtoolas but usually when it happens to me the folks who have Kahtoolas are soon to follow.

As for putting them on I find putting them on to be similar to Katoolas, the Hillsound velcro strap over the top of the boot does add a step but I actually retrofitted a set of Hillsound straps to my Katoolas as I find that the strap keep the chains up against my feet snugger. IMO the biggest issue with either is chains that are hanging loose under the sole of the boot. That make them more prone to catching on brush and balling up. I have walked out of my Katoolas prior to fitting the velcro straps and have seen many other people step out of them and it usually takes them a bit of distance to figure it when that happens. It takes a lot to pull off a Hillsound. It can be a PITA to loose one when doing a controlled slide down a steep trail. Durability to me is equal. The sizing is bit different so one brand may fit better than another depends on what size and type of boot used.

Note there are more fake Kahtoolas out there and they do tend to break more often.

Now that I've hiked for several years in Winter I just prefer to go to full blown crampons on steep terrain regardless of the trail conditions. Microspikes are great for packed trails and easy to moderate grades where you can move quickly and you're less likely to trip in Kahtoolas. If it's steep, especially descending, I want 100% sure footing and I'm not willing to compromise and use Kahtoolas because they're "adequate". The weight of carrying both is a non issue for me. Hillsounds certainly bridge the gap between the two conditions for a "one size fits all" approach but I'd prefer to have two different tools for the respective job. My perspective may be biased though because I slipped and took a spill that resulted in a dislocated shoulder on the second Winter hike of my life so being 100% confident on my footing is not something I want to compromise on.