Doublehead Cabin wood stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
The write-up at Recreation.gov says the cabin has a wood stove. I don't expect it will do much to keep the place that warm but the main question is how likely is it that any wood can be had in the immediate area of the cabin? I am assuming this will be much like Spruce Peak Shelter on the L.T. which is the last enclosed shelter on the trail with a wood stove. Local wood supply there is never copious but enough exists to start a fire and warm the hands. The wind blows through the building so there is no hope that the stove will ever get things very warm and one can never get enough wood to keep it going through the night so it isn't much different than sleeping in an open shelter in that respect.

On one of my sojourns to S.P. I packed in a bundle of kiln-dried, shrink-wrapped, supermarket firewood. (The only kind of firewood allowed to cross state lines in New England.) While it didn't warm the cabin it was a morale booster since it was well after dark and the wood in the immediate vicinity seemed pretty picked over. Not sure I have the gumption to do the same thing at D.H. but would if there was little hope of finding anything for the stove otherwise.

Anyone with experience up there care to give advice?

Doublehead gets more traffic than Spruce Peak and packing up wood is recommended. It's also all softwood so anything you do manage to scrounge up won't burn very well. Other options: Beaver Meadow Lodge off the LT has a wood stove and The Lookout on the AT in VT has a fireplace.

You might check with the forest service. There's often a supply. We've been there with a reservation (in late Oct.) and had plenty of firewood but brought up a water supply, a couple 2 gallon jugs in addition to what one normally carries hiking. In addition, based on a previous visit, I brought a few feet of some old manila rope to fill some of the more blatant breezes.