Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water filter

”Using Sawyer bags and the squeeze was a much longer and more irritating process, especially based on the water source used. The weight of a pump style filter is more than offset by it's speed and efficiency in my opinion.”

I was under the impression that you could connect the Sawyer squeeze directly to a water bottle and drink from that.Am I wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    That's what I have, Katadyn (PUR) Hiker. Most non-solo parties usually have a faster hiker and a slower hiker, so if you plan correctly, the time it takes to filter is transparent to your overall timing. Practiced this to great effect for years when my wife and I were hiking the Great Range every year.
    Great point -- slow the faster hiker(s) down so as to match the pace of the slowest hiker by assigning them a filtration chore -- with a payoff of needed additional water. A complementary tactic: redistribute weight so as simultaneously to slow the fast hiker down and speed up the slow hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    ”Using Sawyer bags and the squeeze was a much longer and more irritating process, especially based on the water source used. The weight of a pump style filter is more than offset by it's speed and efficiency in my opinion.”

I was under the impression that you could connect the Sawyer squeeze directly to a water bottle and drink from that.Am I wrong ?
    If I remember correctly Sawyer Mini fits a thread of Smartwater bottle.

Nope, you aren't wrong. Having never used a pump style filter, I can honestly say that its not irritating using a Sawyer Squeeze. No mechanical parts to break. There's a reason the majority of the long distance hikers, that use a filter, are using a Sawyer squeeze. Almost every hiker you see hiking the AT is using one. You would think after hiking 2000 miles, they would know what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Nope, you aren't wrong. Having never used a pump style filter, I can honestly say that its not irritating using a Sawyer Squeeze. No mechanical parts to break. There's a reason the majority of the long distance hikers, that use a filter, are using a Sawyer squeeze. Almost every hiker you see hiking the AT is using one. You would think after hiking 2000 miles, they would know what works for them.
    Most through hikers use the Sawyer Squeeze for the weight factor. They screw it right onto a Smart Water bottle which is indeed a very light and idiot proof set up provided you don't need a lot of water in between fill ups. It is also common in through hiker videos to see them go 15-18 miles with no water because they run out and then fill their Smart Water bottle in a nasty cattle trough. I think the process of a through hike is entirely different than a weekend or even week trip.

And don't misunderstand what I'm saying. The Sawyer Squeeze is a great product, is very reliable and well made. And carrying their fill bags is also extremely light and delivers comparable benefits to what I mentioned with my pump type set up. The filter screws right on those bags too. But it has trade offs depending on what you are doing, whether you use the fill bags versus screwing on a bottle, etc. If I was walking 2000 miles I might reconsider my pump style filter but for the most part I prefer that style of pump now over the Squeeze. The primary benefit is being able to obtain water in very small and/or awkward places where you simply can't stuff a Smart Water bottle. When I did Katahdin for the first time it was a very hot and humid day (I did Helon Taylor>Knife Edge>Table Lands over to Hamlin>Down Hamlin Ridge). I planned on filtering at one of the springs on the Table Lands (forget the name). When I located the spring it was a puddle the size of a coffee cup tucked under a large rock. If I had a Sawyer filter I would have been screwed. But with my pump filter I was able to quickly tank up 2L of water and be on my way. (I wound up drinking 6L of water that day and was still dehydrated). That was well worth carrying an extra 8-10 ounces in my pack that day.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; NY 46: 6/46

The threads on the model I had would fit on any "conventional" thread beverage bottle, so soda bottles of various sizes, Smart Water bottles, the Sawyer bags, etc would all work. I believe that is still true but I am not positive. I think the Smart Water bottles are popular with through hikers because they come as big as 40 ounces and hold up well to wear and tear. That of course can be a big deal if you're in the middle of nowhere and your only water bottle gets a crack or a hole in it. So for roughly 4-5 ounces you have a water filtering system.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 48/48; ME 4k: 2/14; VT 4k: 1/5; NY 46: 6/46