Need a rigid sole boot for.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiny Norman

Reaction score
walking my dog!

Well, mostly for long dog walks, but also for winter hikes on the Sunapee greenway, Cardigan, some spring hikes in Franconia area, probably some slackcountry snowboarding too. My damaged feet need the protection these days. I have, in the past used Koflach Degres but they weigh 3lbs a piece. When the snow goes i will switch back to stiffish approach shoes.

And yes, fit wins every time.

So what is the least worst boot that has a rigid sole to hike in? Looking for rigid or very close.

the Sportiva Makalu seems like a contender.

Thanks

How rigid? How warm? I'm pretty happy with the Garmont Momentum as a not-deep-cold (200g/m^2 insulation) winter boot and it has a good stiff sole; I've put flexible crampons on it but I wouldn't want to do vertical ice. It's a fair bit stiffer than the Saolomon Toundras (my deep-cold boot).

Makalu is non-insulated, yes?

My old Fabiano Rias are going to Limmer for a resole/rebuild, largely for reasons similar to you.

I've been using some old OR X-gaiters for warmth in winter conditions. If I get some extra coin, I'll ditch them for some Berghaus insulated rubber rand gaiters.

Long winded way of saying.... Limmer?

Not the answer if you want warmth though.

EDITED TO ADD: There's stiff and then there's stiff. I have a pair of Montrail branded 3/4 shank Norwegian welted boots that are ridiculously stiff but I think the full shank Makalus are even stiffer and have very little rocker. 1/2 shank Norwegian welt is usually enough for me.

Last edited:
walking my dog!

Well, mostly for long dog walks, but also for winter hikes on the Sunapee greenway, Cardigan, some spring hikes in Franconia area, probably some slackcountry snowboarding too. My damaged feet need the protection these days. I have, in the past used Koflach Degres but they weigh 3lbs a piece. When the snow goes i will switch back to stiffish approach shoes.

So what is the least worst boot that has a rigid sole to hike in? Looking for rigid or very close.

Thanks

If you are not familiar with this scale it may help you with your search criteria. https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buy...ide-to-mountaineering-boot-grades-b0-b1-b2-b3

walking my dog!

Thanks

I wore the Makalu for many years out west. It is a good stiff boot and has a rigid sole. It is of fine construction and will last for years. It is not insulated and I would use it all summer and to cover the shoulder seasons, but come winter, I transitioned to a winter boot.

Thanks all.

Sadly, I need a rigid sole like my Koflachs. My Limmer Standards were stiff but they did flex, some.

Cold feet have never been an issue for me. A lot has to do with naturally good circulation but also because i don't go out for any length of time if its below -5.

If i could i would stick to hiking boots but my feet are so happy when I use my pmbs that i have accepted that i have to move to rigid clunkers.

Trying to find the least clunkiest. So I am looking at the category of boot for "General Mountaineering/Glacier Travel". https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/mountaineering/alpine-expert-gtx-lime-black

Perhaps B2 in the British Grade system https://thebmc.co.uk/feet-first.

Step-in crampon compatible but not primarily for vertical ice.

Thanks again.

Thanks All and Sundry! Looks like winter is on the wane here in scenic central NH. May wait (and whine) for another year.

Cheers

I went with the Lowa Alpine Expert.

So far i have about 5 hours knocking around in them. None on snow.

Very happy with them. The sole is rigid but i think i can feel the smallest amount of arc if i get my svelte 200lbs up on the toes.

What's really nice is that the shaft has some give to it. They have a notch in the achilles area to flex forward and they have what Lowa calls synchro-flex so the upper moves forward as the lower leg does.

I would rather walk an hour in the Lowas than my Limmer Lightweights. They weigh roughly the same but the shaft of the Limmers fight you at every step.

Looking forward/Hoping for snow soon.

Cheers