Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessibility of northern Pemi trailheads

Accessibility of northern Pemi trailheads

Looking to venture into the Hale / Zealand / Guyot / Twins / Galehead area. I wasn't sure what the latest accessibility issues were with the various trailheads -- Garfield Trail, Gale River Trail, and North Twin Trail. Ideally, I'd like to go up the N Twin Trail to Hale, but I know the Little River Road and Haystack Road seem to have a different status every winter.
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."
    --Soren Kierkegaard, 1838

Access via Little River Rd is no longer an option. The land crossed by the herd path has been posted. You can park on rt3 for approaches via Haystack or Gale River Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Access via Little River Rd is no longer an option. The land crossed by the herd path has been posted. You can park on rt3 for approaches via Haystack or Gale River Loop.
    So basically no one touches the Hale FWT or North Twin Trail in the wintertime? Unless you roadwalk nearly the entirety of Haystack Road (2-3 miles)?
    "People hardly ever make use of the freedom which they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation."

The parking at the end of the road where Haystack road meets Rt 3 is plowed and its usually full of cars on weekends so some folks are using it.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 01-31-2020 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Clarified the post

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue View Post
    So basically no one touches the Hale FWT or North Twin Trail in the wintertime? Unless you roadwalk nearly the entirety of Haystack Road (2-3 miles)?
    Sure they do. More people have been parking at Seven Dwarfs and then taking the snowmobile trail in from there. That avoids the private property issue.
    Proprietor, NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Author, New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide
    Author, AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition - Coming in 2020!

Unless I'm misunderstanding something (quite possible), I'm getting conflicting information. Josh says Little River Road is not an option at all. Peakbagger, you're saying you can still park at the end of Little River Road (and, IIRC, cross the bridge there and then head south)? Ken, you're saying to avoid the end of Little River Rd and park down at 7 Dwarfs instead?

The route from the end of Little River Road (plow turnaround) and over the bridge and then to the old North Twin Trail is now posted no trespassing as it crosses private land.

Instead people are doing what they did many years back and parking at 7Ds and paying Franz. From there they take the snowmobile trail to Haystack Road and then left to the summer trailhead.

Tim

I was referring to your post about the 2 to 3 mile walk up Haystack Road. I havent been by there this winter but last winter the FS was plowing the end of Haystack Road where it meets RT3. There is no parking sign there but last year it was temporarily covered for the season. Note there is not a lot of spaces to park in this location.

BTW Haystack Road road as is the North Twin trail to the first river crossing is quite skiable to even beginning level cross country skiers. Makes for nice glide out.

I have edited my original post
    Last edited by peakbagger; 01-31-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I was referring to your post about the 2 to 3 mile walk up Haystack Road.

I have edited my original post
    Gotcha - thanks. Every time I drive that road, I tell myself to track the mileage. And every time I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    The route from the end of Little River Road (plow turnaround) and over the bridge and then to the old North Twin Trail is now posted no trespassing as it crosses private land.

Instead people are doing what they did many years back and parking at 7Ds and paying Franz. From there they take the snowmobile trail to Haystack Road and then left to the summer trailhead.

Tim
    Okay - thanks. I've never parked at 7 Dwarfs, so I'm not familiar with that route. The snowmobile trail must cross the river near the hotel and then hook up to Haystack Road? It must track more westerly than southward if I'm understanding where the private property is. Is it easy enough to navigate, or is Franz amenable to giving directions? There's a good chance I'll be arriving in the dark, so it makes me a little apprehensive.

Plan A is to use North Twin Trail to do a Hale, Zealand, Bonds, Twins loop. Plan B is to use Garfield Trail for Garfield, Galehead, Twins, Guyot, Bonds, and return via Gale River Trail. What is the access to Garfield and Gale River trailheads? Looks like parking just off Rt. 3 for a roadwalk (~1 mile) to Garfield, and parking at the BB XC ski trails for Gale River?

BB XC for Gale River works well. Follow the ski trails, staying right at all times, until you come out in the back end of a drive-in camp site, and then walk the road to the summer trailhead.

For Garfield, park at Five Corners and walk to the west end of Gale River Road. Sometimes, in low-snow, low-traffic conditions, there is plowed parking at the west end of the road meaning you can skip the Five Corners and Road Walk.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garfield.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	6327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beaverbrook.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	6326  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Perfect. Thanks, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue View Post
    Gotcha - thanks. Every time I drive that road, I tell myself to track the mileage. And every time I forget.
    It's just under 2.5 miles on Haystack road -- from Route 3 to the North Twin Trail trailhead. I believe that the route via 7 Dwarfs and snowmobile trail (Lower Haystack Bypass) is about half that distance.
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 02-01-2020 at 08:05 AM.

I've got a question that I'm not sure has ever been mentioned. The posted "No Trespassing" is by the land owner of the herd-path/old railroad spur, correct? Didn't the owners (which are different) of the new bridge say it was alright to use it as long as you did not wear any kind of traction on the bridge? So my first question is, is there still some legal at the end of Little River Road? And if so, can you park there, cross the bridge, and connect with the snowmobile trail just past it? Before there was ever an issue that's what we did, not realizing the turn onto the herd path was immediately after the bridge. This is something I've wondered about since this started.

The Blue trail is from Seven Dwarfs, red arrow. The end of Little River Road and bridge, white arrow.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture smt.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	6328  
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 02-01-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Joe