Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessibility of northern Pemi trailheads

Hale-Fire-Road-Access-Little-River-Road-Winter-Access-Twins-and-Hale

tl;dr;

Doug and Mary, the Bridge owners, welcomed people to cross the bridge. Following the Old North Twin trail will put you at odds with different property owners, as will parking beyond the paved portion. Beyond those two constraints, I can't really comment, except to say that I did PAtN from the end of Haystack Road (not too bad), and then in December I did Twins + Galehead from Beaver Brook which was considerably longer than the Little River Road traverse. You may or may not (I haven't tried since the posting) be able to access the snomo trail from the bridge.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Its is easier to understand the issue if you pull up the tax maps from Bethlehem. Before the owners of the bridge built their house, one option (the one I first used was to go across the private bridge and go straight down an old road that eventually hooked up with the Haystack road, then take a left on Haystack road. That is the way we did it in the early 90s. There were a couple of gravel pits in that area that are visible if you use the history function on Google Earth. Doug and Mary own the bridge and have a right of way from the end of Little River road. The river frontage is owned by the same family group that owns the land around the turnaround and also the land across the river where the old railroad right of way runs which is accessed by taking the hard left turn after crossing the bridge. The former route going straight across the bridge goes directly up what is now Doug and Mary's driveway past their house. I respect that they probably would not appreciate a stream of hiker traffic up their driveway so they graciously offer the hiking public the privilege of crossing their bridge that they own and have rights to. They do not own the land where hikers normally take a left onto the old right of way and thus they can not give permission to hike on it. Doug and Mary did at one point have signage directing hikers away from their private driveway to the former railroad right of way effectively pushing hikers across the extreme corner of their property. Perhaps where the confusion lies is that many people may assume that the river is the property line between properties on each side of the river, that unfortunately is not true, in this case the river and the frontage on either side of the river is owned by the same group of owners that are the descendants of the original owner. I think it was tied up in probate last year so the actual owner may now be one or all of the descendants. Given that it apparently still posted this year that implies that the current owners do not want to public to trespass and they have a right to do so. Their land is in the town of Bethlehem so the officers in the village of Twin Mountain in the town of Carroll NH are not really the right group to ask about the legality and prosecution for trespassing on land in another town. This little block of Bethlehem is landlocked by the national forest so I dont expect its routinely patrolled.

I was not aware that Seven Dwarves was in operation last winter (or this winter)In the past it was the recognized option for accessing the snowmachine trail crossing a short distance down the road from Doug and Marys bridge. I have never parked there and used that option. Note long before Doug and Mary built their home the bridge was blocked on the Little River Road side of the river with a full width gate. Whether it was locked or not varied year to year. There was construction equipment parked in the pits on occasion and expect there could have been issues with vandalism. The first time I did it in around 1993 possibly 1994 the gate was open on New Years day and definitely snowed in.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-01-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    The route from the end of Little River Road (plow turnaround) and over the bridge and then to the old North Twin Trail is now posted no trespassing as it crosses private land. Instead people are doing what they did many years back and parking at 7Ds and paying Franz. From there they take the snowmobile trail to Haystack Road and then left to the summer trailhead.

Tim
    A couple of us did this trek yesterday, using the snowmobile trail. Comparing a GPS track from a few years back of the now-posted-with-no-trespassing-signs route (original North Twin Trail?) with the one using the snowmobile corridor that we did yesterday, it appears that the latter adds all of a tenth of a mile (one mile versus about 0.9 miles) once you cross the bridge. Sure, there's the short walk from Seven Dwarfs, and the snow mobile corridor route involves a bit of road walk on Haystack Road, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Add in the short walk from the Seven Dwarfs and across the bridge, and it's still less than half the distance of walking Haystack Road (~2.5 miles) from the gate on Route 3.

For what it's worth, someone is still using the route across the private land -- in spite of the posted signage right near the start of the route; most folks appear to be using the snowmobile corridor, though.
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 02-03-2020 at 08:12 AM.

I have heard that some people have permission from the landowner to use the route in question. This no doubt causes confusion. Itís really no different than hunting on posted land with written permission IMO, except for the attitude of the users.

I am curious about the route from 7Ds to the snowmobile trail. Itís been over 10 years since Iíve gone that way.

Tim

My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very hungry.
    I thought I had read here several years ago that parking was no longer allowed at the Seven Dwarfs Motel. But it is now all right to do so? What is the charge? I did that in May 2005, I think.

I can’t picture where this snowmobile trail is. Somewhere between the motel and the bridge at the end of the road, I take it, but with its own bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    I thought I had read here several years ago that parking was no longer allowed at the Seven Dwarfs Motel. But it is now all right to do so? What is the charge? I did that in May 2005, I think. I can’t picture where this snowmobile trail is. Somewhere between the motel and the bridge at the end of the road, I take it, but with its own bridge?
    Parking at the Seven Dwarfs is $10 -- there's a small (4-5 vehicles?) plowed area immediately across Little River Road from the motel. Leave the money on the windscreen.

JustJoe has a map, earlier in this thread, showing the snowmobile trail. Note, though, that it's not in use right now by snowmobiles. And, we didn't see a corridor on the northern side of the road/right-of-way to Doug/Mary's place, across the bridge heading to the Seven Dwarfs, only to the south. Then, where the corridor connects to Haystack Road, the gate is closed with a Forest Service "road closed" sign on it. So, at least recently, the only use is a few snowshoers.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    I am curious about the route from 7Ds to the snowmobile trail. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve gone that way.
    We didn't see a route from the Seven Dwarfs to any snowmobile trail (we may not have looked hard enough), and given the location of the parking, it was easy to walk down Little River Road, make a right onto Doug/Mary's right-of-way, across the bridge, past the old North Twin Trail corridor (now posted as "private"), and then a left turn onto the snowmobile corridor.