Views On Scaur Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I noticed a few recent trip reports referencing Scaur Peak on the trip to/from North Tri. I haven't been out that way in awhile and I always enjoyed that narrow stretch of ridge with the glimpses out to the slide. Is the walk out to Scaur Peak comparable to the rest of the ridge? Are there any actual views through the trees in any direction or is it just a slog through thick brush to get a "check mark"? Been wanting to check it out for awhile but for the enjoyment factor, not for a list. Appreciate any info on that area and peak.

I don't recall any views from Scaur Peak when I was there a few years ago. There was a vague herd path from Pine Bend Brook Trail to the summit, but I quickly lost it and just bushwhacked up easily. When I visited there was a sign but no canister, but apparently now there is a canister but no sign.

There are no views that I no of either. Have been 2 times and no canister or sign. I'd heard that was one that always diapered. Possibly rangers, since it's so easy to get to and in wilderness. But not knowing what reports you're referring to, could it be "The Scaur" in Waterville they talking about? You can work that into a trip to the Tri's. Never been but it is suppose to have great views. A favorite spot of The Mountain Wonderer.

I don't recall any views from Scaur Peak when I was there a few years ago. There was a vague herd path from Pine Bend Brook Trail to the summit, but I quickly lost it and just bushwhacked up easily. When I visited there was a sign but no canister, but apparently now there is a canister but no sign.

Yes there were references in each report to "sign no canister" vs "canister no sign". Irrelevant for my purposes. Thanks.

There are no views that I no of either. Have been 2 times and no canister or sign. I'd heard that was one that always diapered. Possibly rangers, since it's so easy to get to and in wilderness. But not knowing what reports you're referring to, could it be "The Scaur" in Waterville they talking about? You can work that into a trip to the Tri's. Never been but it is suppose to have great views. A favorite spot of The Mountain Wonderer.

It must be pretty underwhelming for you not to have a photo of the area. :p It is the Scaur Peak just North of the Tri's. Both reports referenced coming up via Pine Bend Trail and taking the "short" side trip.

Unless things have changed, Pine Bend Brook normally has a winter portion that skips the hike through the scrub to the left of the former slide route and goes straight up the old slide to the ridge line. From there is fairly narrow ridge and over the years when I have been up there in winter there normally was a track heading over their in the general direction of Scaur Peak. If you take the left to head over to North Tri you cross the actual trail where it pops out of the woods fairly quickly.

It must be pretty underwhelming for you not to have a photo of the area. :p It is the Scaur Peak just North of the Tri's. Both reports referenced coming up via Pine Bend Trail and taking the "short" side trip.

I did look at NETC and saw a couple reports of the Tri's and Scaur Peak, although I did not see the one mentioning a view from Scaur. And I have lots of pics of one of my trips to it but the views are a short whack off trail opposite the herd path to Scaur Peak. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BMmMtCW4FYZpyG3C6

I did look at NETC and saw a couple reports of the Tri's and Scaur Peak, although I did not see the one mentioning a view from Scaur. And I have lots of pics of one of my trips to it but the views are a short whack off trail opposite the herd path to Scaur Peak. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BMmMtCW4FYZpyG3C6

Nobody mentioned a view. I was just curious if there were any views because I've been meaning to check out that spot for awhile. Every now and then I get enamored with the way an area looks on the USFS maps and feel compelled to go there based solely on the topography. It looked like a cool little sub peak to check out provided I didn't force my way through insane scrub all the way up just to see a PVC cylinder strapped to a tree. With the severe fall off in many directions and it being Winter I figured some holes in the trees looking out might be possible, similar but maybe less exciting than the views on North Tri. Based on your photos it looks to be worth the effort to check it out. Thanks.

Nobody mentioned a view. I was just curious if there were any views because I've been meaning to check out that spot for awhile. Every now and then I get enamored with the way an area looks on the USFS maps and feel compelled to go there based solely on the topography. It looked like a cool little sub peak to check out provided I didn't force my way through insane scrub all the way up just to see a PVC cylinder strapped to a tree. With the severe fall off in many directions and it being Winter I figured some holes in the trees looking out might be possible, similar but maybe less exciting than the views on North Tri. Based on your photos it looks to be worth the effort to check it out. Thanks.

Sorry, I guess I just noticed Ken's response about no views and thought you mentioned reading about views. But yes, it definitely a cool area and worth exploring.

Sorry, I guess I just noticed Ken's response about no views and thought you mentioned reading about views. But yes, it definitely a cool area and worth exploring.

No worries. As usual I probably ambiguously worded my question so no one was 100% sure what the hell I was talking about. :p

I've been to Scaur Peak a couple of times, and enjoyed each. No tree-less sweeping views, but a short, fun summit hike up a moderately steep cone. Less than 15 minutes from the Pine Bend Brook trail, with fairly open woods 98% of the way. The last 2 percent is a dense thicket surrounding the goal, but penetrable using a spiral approach.

While I think Zealand is the gold standard for marker signs on view-less summits, the "SCAUR" sign was pleasantly funky.

Cautionary disclaimer: the year was 2012, and that's long enough ago for vegetation to have grown and/or get blown down. If you do go, let us know what you find!

Joe's shoes are tough to fill, but here goes...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AksYtbUFyRSQh6MQfmyymSx3tbm-mA?e=kEjkAQ

Last edited: