Quality Shoe Laces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Are there any good after-market shoe lace manufacturers out there? What are some good "hacks" for keeping shoe laces from getting cut or worn, having the tab ends fray and become impossible to pass through eyelets, etc? The laces on my new Winter boots this year have already torn, frayed and snapped after only 6 or 7 trips. It seems like most of my boots, even from the high end companies, have the type of laces that are just a flimsy sheathing hiding the underlying filaments and have a cheap plastic cover over the ends. They also have a lot of stretch so they loosen easily even if you crank them down. They seem to wear out awfully fast. Looking for a higher quality option to re-lace my boots. Appreciate any suggestions.

Wow, they do look impressive. Looks like they supply people who work under extreme conditions where you don't get to just stop and fix them. I found a good pair the other day. (I found two pair I bought back in the 90's & had squirrelled away in a dresser drawer.)

It's a bit of a drive but LL Bean in Freeport custom makes shoe laces in a couple dozen colors. Not sure if their outlets do it.

These look cool and quite rugged.

But I was wondering how these laces hold knots. Are they prone to loosening if not half-hitched? ( A minor but annoying "problem" to have. :)

I went ahead and ordered a pair so I'll comment on that after I've tried. I wondered about that considering the lack of stretch.

It's a bit of a drive but LL Bean in Freeport custom makes shoe laces in a couple dozen colors. Not sure if their outlets do it.

I was in the store in the Seaport last week and had 2 pairs made. The metal aglets are nice but too big for my Keens so I had to cut them off. I'm pretty sure it's all paracord.

I was in the store in the Seaport last week and had 2 pairs made. The metal aglets are nice but too big for my Keens so I had to cut them off. I'm pretty sure it's all paracord.

That's interesting, as they don't seem to be much bigger than any other factory laces. Do the Keens have particularly small metal eyelets? At any rate, I'm very happy with them. I like the fact that you would have them made in whatever length you desire.

For what it's worth I did buy a pair of these (actually two pairs because I thought they were priced as "each" on the website). They do seem pretty durable and they didn't loosen up at all on me with the normal knots I use. So I'd say thumbs up. Thanks for the recommendation Scubahhh.